Worm castings, Anyone use it?

Started by dub504, July 22, 2009, 01:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub504

I found it at a local hydroponics store while buying Hydroton. Just curious about it, they tried to sell me bat guano because of better nutrients. I didn't think that was an issue with what I'm growing, couldn't really tell them that though...

psilocybin warrior

If you have easy acess to a hydro store get coco-fiber coir instead.

PW

dub504

Yeah, grabbed some of that a few weeks ago. Waiting on a first flush from it...

room408

i am three weeks in to colonizing my jars. the brazilians and koh samui supers are probably 85-90% done and the thai mystery's and texas are not far behind. i am planning on casing four to a tray. i haven't boughten peat yet and since you are saying coir is better i am probably going to buy that instead. i have read from some people on here that the limestone in the peat mix isn't really necessary. what do you think about it in a coir/verm casing?

i am also using the tropic-air humidifier and i tested it out alone in my 2 FC that are connected by hoses and i didn't see any condensation on the sides.(i haven't boughten a hygrometer yet b/c of what i read about them) i only ran it for about a day and a half. i guess it needs more time to build up proper humidity levels or being in conjunction with the clay pellets it will reach the ideal ideal levels.

fattrout

room408, IMO lime is not needed, but to each his own.. :mellow: i don't use it.
as for the tropic-aire, how big are your FCs? and how big is your air pump?
also just because you have no condensation, does not mean you RH is low.. you need to buy a good hygrometer. i also would get a little hydroton (geolite), put about 1 inch in the FC and mist it lightly.   -_- you should be fine.
fattrout :ph34r:
fattrout

room408

i have two 35 gallon bins and a double hose air pump that pumps 71 gph. its cutting it close i guess. this setup with the humidifier and pump seems to be the most efficient so im sure it will turn out alright. this is pretty much the same setup as you right fattrout? and i should put a whole near the bottom of the bin to allow the carbon dioxide to escape right? like one 1/4" whole or something?

fattrout

room408, yep you got it.. i would put 4 to 6, 1/4 or so holes around the bottom. :mellow:
fattrout

room408

dub504

Hey, this thread was supposed to be about worm castings as substrate... Oh well, I guess know one cares...
-dub