pearlite

Started by fungiguy, July 26, 2009, 08:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

how often should i change my pearlite? can i simply rinse and drain it?? i know it is not expensive, but if i can use it again, i would like to. waste not, want not!!!

fattrout

yes, you can reuse it. just rinse well in hot water. :mellow:
fattrout

dub504

My two cents says you can sterilize it in the oven. I can't remember where I read it. 350' for an hour or so. Perlite can be a messy affair. I just moved over to Hydroton. The clay pellets are bigger than Perlite and can be cleaned in the same manner + you don't have to breathe glass dust, which makes breathing quite difficult.

fattrout

i agree with dub504 100%.. geolite (hydroton) is much easier to work with. i just wash it in hot soapy water and rinse well..
fattrout

fungiguy

i'm thinking of switching to hydroton. do i need to use a pump or can i prep it like pearlite? where can i get hydroton besides hydro-store??

fattrout

yep, it works just like perlite.
yep, hydro-store.  :ph34r:
fattrout

dub504

I'm sure you could find it online. It might be expensive to ship. The store I use will let you buy it by the pound. They open up a 50 lb bag and take what you need.

fungiguy

that's cool. i just found a store within 10 miles. gonna check that place out this week.

fattrout

i'm luck, i have a hydro-store 1/4 mile from my house. they sale just about everything i need. except popcorn lol.. :mellow:
fattrout

shroomzer

Hydroton is so much neater and cleaner and easier to use IMO.

malabar

Okay folks,..... 
     I use both, since I have multiple FC's.  Hydroton is cleaner, and easier, but IMO pearlite has a higher moisture retention.
  Since I seem to be standing in the "middle" of the road,.....  Watch out for the "old" guy.   :rolleyes: 
  Please, nobody back that bus up!  lol
  ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

coyoteyogi

:mellow: I use both too. Pearlite on the bottom and hydroton on top of that. I soak it in a water bleach mix every few months. Oven too if I'm feeling contaminated.

malabar

I haven't had the contams to deal with, but I soak the pearlite with bleach as I rotate FCs as well.  However, I have never mixed the two products.
  All has been fine for years here.  I'll continue to use both.
     :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!