contam?

Started by mustang1986, July 26, 2009, 11:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang1986

this is one of my jars i have going i done it the same time i done my other ones and the others are fully colonized i was wondering why this one was taking so much longer then today i saw this little bit of blue color in it so i was wondering if it was a contaminated jar cuz i heard they could stop growing if it was a contamination any opions? i dont even know if you can see the blue stuff its pretty small

fungiguy

the rate of colonization can vary from jar to jar. that is simply nature. i can't see the blue in your pics. anything besides white is NO GOOD. how long has it been since the others were done colonizing? you can flip it over, tap it, letting the air shift in the jar. that may speed up the process. i would fruit that by itself, or toss it. no reason to risk spread of contam.

mustang1986

here is a picture you might be able to see better but the others just finished a day ago i guess i will just see when i open it. but its very small but if it is contaminated it will stink right?

malabar

Mustang,
  The photo is hard to make out, but in all of my years, I have not seen a jar with "blue" contamination.  Are you sure it's not bruising from your earlier flipping of the jars?  Or is it green?
  Truth is, white is right during colonization.  All other colors are generally bad.  And your nose will tell the truth!
If it is contaminated, you still have an option since your grow is small, and that jar is fairly well along.
  1) Be safe and dump it.

2) Do a Sterile surgical procedure, and cut off that section of cake, and break it up and make a small casing.

3) Take your chances and let it ride, in some sort of isolation area.

Your move partner,
    ~Malabar   :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fattrout

i have to agree with the others, i can't see much wrong in that pic. just isolate it and keep an eye on it. but in my experience, if you have a contaminated jar you will know it, it will keep growing. all the contamination i have seen, has been ugly black or green wet looking shit. blue is just bruising, as long as it does not spread.
fattrout

mustang1986

it is probably bruising cuz i did just flip it over and done the tapping thing like three days ago and it just now turned that way. sorry about the damn pics they keep turning out really close lol

coyoteyogi

sometimes, if there is a hot spot in your incubator, the myc can stall out. I'd just isolate it in a bag in the cupboard and check up on it in a week or so. Patience reveals the truth in this hobby.