Popcorn just in case

Started by coyoteyogi, July 27, 2009, 02:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyoteyogi

So, how long for most people between crumbling the PC and casing and the signs of the first pins. I've got some Storm Chasers that were very aggressive colonizers. I'm just beginning to see the myc on top of the 50/50 coir/verm. Since my last attempt yielded little but trich I have high hopes (and dreams) for this run. Also have a few bread tins of PE that seem to be doing well. Will post pics when there is something to show.

malabar

Coyoteyogi,
  My grains, millet, oats, and popcorn have spent 3 - 4 days incubating after colonization, and between 5 - 8 days to fruits.  The strains are B+, Malabar, Florida +, Taz, GT, and Cambo.
  Of course the casing is 60/40 Peat/Verm. 
Patience my friend,.... They will come.
   ~Malabar   :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

room408

let us know coyoteogi i just cased 4 aluminum pans 60/40 verm/coir with brf on saturday and im only seeing a couple spots of mycelium coming through. waiting to post some pics too

Magic Money

well good news 408 that shit is coming through all over! wait until you see tonight. I think we should put in fc tomorrow or next day. As for the rest of our cakes just about time to dunk!
                                              ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

nomoredroughts

it took 3 weeks for full colonizationan just under 2 weeks to get my pins just noticed them today.so excited ^_^
DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHICKEN!!!!

coyoteyogi

Patience. I know. I know. Patience. I thought I had projects sufficiently staggered that there would always be something to see and do. Nope, contams put that plan to rest. It looks good but will take some more time.

dub504

I cased some PC last Wed. 7/22. The myc hasn't "popped" (get it) through yet! It's a pretty thick casing though...

malabar

Dub,
  How thick is that casing?  You really don't want or need to exceed 1/2".
   :ph34r:

dub504

Hard to say. It's probably 1/2" maybe slightly more... The substrate is pretty thick, I had been using one 1/2 pint BRF for my other casings. I had a colonized quart of pc and I used probably 2/3 rds in this casing, in a loaf pan. The casing layer under the corn was probably 1/4". That's my estimate anyways.
    Are you saying that if the casing is too thick it will smother the myc?

BTW, How many flushes do you usually get from a casing?

malabar

Dub,
  I have been known to put as much as 1 1/2 pts if not more in a loaf tray, but my casing never exceeds 1/2" - 3/8". 
  I would like to say smothering could be the worse case scenario,...  If your casing is too thick, tight, or packed, yes, you will restrict aeration, and it could smother.
  Another issue that I have seen in the past was after casing, misting and returning to incubation, that lack of aeration brings on that possibility of breeding other bacterias.  Under the conditions that it is a nice warm place, covered, and in the dark, in combination with the fact that the mycelia has further to travel to the surface, it now becomes a competition.
  Just make sure the casing is Very loose, and look in on it after 3 days and there after.
  They will be strong buggers when they break through,....  That's for sure!

dub504

Thanks Malabar,
    I get the vibe that these little fellas are doin' alright. I took a look see this evening and things look clean, loose, not muddy, no funky smells etc...  Thanks again and thanks to everyone that's here to learn and help each other on this truly interesting  :rolleyes: hobby. Keep growing man!
Later,
-Dub

malabar

No problem my friend.  Good luck, happy growing, and let me know how it comes out.
  You are right, it is a good thing to belong to a community that helps one another.
     :ph34r:

cugak

Let me ask something! When i  pc my popcorn jars, using polyfil filter lids, popcorn becomes wet in side the jar.?
I tried and used a coaster so my jars were above the water, and it didnt work!
share international

fattrout

cugak, do you put tin foil on your jars?
fattrout

cugak

share international

malabar

Cugak,
  If you are using foil over the filter lids, it sounds as though you have not allow the popcorn to drain in the collander long enough before putting them into the jars.
   You have to give a few shakes over the time it's draining, and move those kernels around.

dub504

cugak, are your jars really wet or is it just condensation? A little condensation is probably alright and it should evaporate or absorb back into the corn shortly. Are you draining the corn long enough? @ least 30 min.

cugak

I drained well, couse filter is wet and lid under foil is also wet!
share international

malabar

Well Cugak,
    I got nothing else.  Perhaps PW or Fattrout can think of something else.  Where is McGuyver when you need him??!??    :rolleyes:

dub504

I read somewhere that a little gypsum helps control moisture in grains.