Moving on to grain.

Started by MT, July 29, 2009, 06:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT

Well, I've been enjoying this hobby for almost a year now and have finally purchased a PC. I have read so many posts about grain usage and have gotten fairly good at casing BRF cakes that I believe it's time to expand my knowlodge of this science. I can't wait for my new equipment to arrive.  I will be using WBS with Texas strain for my first attempt. Will continue to update as my new experiment progresses.

malabar

MT,
  Piece of cake!    :rolleyes:  Have fun with it,....
   ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fattrout

go for it MT, you may never go back to BRF cakes. -_-
fattrout

MT

My PC arrived on Saturday. By Saturday night I had six quarts of WBS cooling down and I inoculated them With 2 cc's of Texas strain each on Sunday. I have used the search function here trying to answer a couple of questions with no positive results. So, here are my questions: How long after inoculation do I wait to shake the jars? Also Approx. how long until they will be completely colonized? Thanks everyone!

malabar

MT,
  You certainly gave those jars a healthy dose, eh?   :rolleyes: Congrats on your new endeavor. 
  I wouldn't worry too much about shaking them, at least not now.    WBS, and millet colonize quite rapidly and pretty much completely, w/o much help at all.  Since this was LC, it will probably be a few days before the initial signs appear, after which you will have to monitor the progress.
  If you would like to "spread the news" and speed things up, I would wait until you are at  least 50% colonized. Then shake them and let them complete themselves.
  Time depends on your environment,...  Could be 10 days,....or 20 + days, for a qt jar. 

fattrout

MT, those are tough questions.
1st, this is what i do. when the jars are 1/2 way or more, i will lightly roll the jars around in my hand to loosen up the grain. i never shake the jar more then is needed to loosen the grain up.. if you shake the jars to hard, you will bruise the shit out of it. with time you will get an eye for it. :mellow:
2nd, it can take 2 to 4 weeks to fully colonize. -_-
good luck, fattrout
fattrout

MT

Thanks for the input everyone. I will continue to update as my experiment progresses.

MT

malabar, do you think I may have used too much spore solution?

malabar

MT,
  I can't tell you how much solution is too much.  Personally, I Never use more than 1cc/qt, and much less w/pts.  I suppose I could use more, but I have excellent results, and have learned that the grains, millet, seeds, and oats don't really need much if you hit the jar correctly.
  And, it's not a matter of running out, because I make LC, and have learned to extend or multiply 10cc x 10 fold.  So I guess it's a matter of what you feel comfortable with. 
  With time you will see just how much you really need to get the job done, and p/u other avenues, such as G2G, with eliminates at least a week of waiting, and the need for constantly purchasing spores syringes so frequently.
  Next quart, why not try 1/2 the amount?  1cc  If you have the same results, you can go from there, and may not really need that much either,..

fattrout

MT, its not that you use to much. you just don't need that much. but its not goin to hurt, if anything the jars will colonize faster. i'm sure thats what he meant... :mellow:
fattrout

fattrout

sorry malabar, you beat me to it... :rolleyes:
fattrout

malabar

Fattrout,
  Thx.  Sorry to step on toes there,...     -_-    At least we stay on the same page.  lol
  I figure 10cc,..  Hell that's like 15 qts, and at least a dozen pts!   

fattrout

yep i agree, same page. BTW malabar, (wheeler ranch) WOW you were there at the beginning!! i was barley a teenager and living in grass valley at the time. but i remember all that shit.....

P.S. MT, sorry for treadding on your thread.  :rolleyes:
fattrout

malabar

Alright, Fattrout,......
    Don't you start that trying to make me "feel" old, Shit!  lol  It just won't work,......       -_-

My Kung-Fu may suck,....    But my Shrooms kick ASS!

fattrout

o.k. malabar, lol.. hey, i do remember some good party's in them hills!! :ph34r:
fattrout

malabar

For sure there was,.....  Life is still Good!  Just a bit harder, and we wear more clothes,.....  In public.
    :ph34r:

MT

Thanks, I was just concerned that I may have added too much moisture with the 2cc's. Now that I know I can use less I will experiment with a smaller amount.

dub504

It only takes one spore to germinate and start the whole process. Albeit that would be really slow.

coyoteyogi

Don't quote me but, I think it takes two spores. ^_^

malabar

One Spore, Two Spores,......  For Damn sure it doesn't take 2cc's!   :huh:
      ~Malabar    :mellow: