Moving on to grain.

Started by MT, July 29, 2009, 06:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

hey malabar!!! i've been using popcorn to grow on and so far-so good. I like that it colonizes very quickly. the g2g is easy and fast. that being said, i am going to once again diversify. this time with wbs. i read a few good teks on it. do you have any advice?? i know you are strictly a grain guy, so i thought who better to ask.

malabar

Fungiguy,
  Good to hear that you are broadening your horizons!  It's always good to at least have reached out and touched based with other substrates. 
  I agree on the rate of colonization of popcorn, but you may find the WBS can colonize even faster.  I have tried the popcorn, and feel it is easy and convenient to use for the g2g, though I wasn't too very impressed with the size or yield of the fruits on the corn.  With 5 different strains, side by side with grain yields, I was Very disappointed.  Such is life.
   The only advice I could probably provide not knowing what you are seeking would be to soak your seeds well, unless you are Very sure of your source.  And then it couldn't hurt to soak anyway.
  Though I haven't used WBS in a while but, I still do use Millet.  Sometimes I mix this with the grains to accelerate the colonization. 
  So if you are comfortable with your corn tek, you can skip a step, transfer from the corn to your WBS, and be that much further ahead.  Other than that, once you have gotten beyond that BRF stage, most TEKs are almost the same. 
  If you have something more specific, feel free to ask.  If I can help,..  I'm there for you, as are your other friends here.  Fattrout has done a bit of WBS if I'm not mistaken as well, so when he pops in, he may some suggestions for you, and PW may have a few for you also.
  Enjoy.
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fungiguy

cool, thanks malabar. i am gonna prep the wbs just like popcorn. 24 hour soak, 60 minute simmer, 90 minutes in pressure cooker. than g2g, incubate, and case. what do you think??

fungiguy

malabar

Fungiguy,
  Your course of action sounds like a solid plan.    -_-    Go with it,... 
As for millet.  It's a light grain, but also sold as a treat for caged and outdoor birds.  They sell bags of it in Walmart, made by Hartz , 3lbs/$3.00 , or you can spend too much at the health food store.  It's sold as cereal there.  I just shuck it off of the little branches, and throw it into the jars, with or w/o other grains.  In a g2g, the Millet takes off and is done in 3 or 4 days.  Great for speeding things along, or spawning to coir/compost.

fungiguy

what do you think about millet/wbs, 50/50?? sounds like the millet would speed up the already fast wbs.

malabar

Fungiguy,
  I am sure you could add millet to the WBS, but I am sure there is already a percentage of millet mixed in.  I could be wrong, so check the ingredients.  Increasing the balance can't hurt you, but why waste cash?
   :ph34r:

fungiguy

on my way to the store. i'll let you know what the verdict is.
                       -peace, love, and soul!!!!!

malabar

Cool enough,....  Happy shopping!

dub504

I've been playing around w/ WBS and Millet each on their own and mixing them for shits and giggles. WBS does have a couple of different kinds of millet in it. I have to refrain what Malabar is saying. You really need to soak the WBS to get those nasty little endospores to germinate, so you can kill them when you sterilize. I seem to have more problems w/ WBS than just Millet.

MT

The WBS that I bought at Wal-mart had millet mixed in. Ten pound bag for seven bucks. I rinsed and drained the grain several times with hot water until the water was clear, soaked it in hot water for four hours and then simmered for twenty minutes.

malabar

MT,
  I am guessing you did okay,.....  What strain did you hit it with?  And, perhaps  if you had a good level of success, you and Dub can shoot Fungiguy some pointers, or higher points of your experience if he decides to move forward with the WBS.
  ~Malabar    :mellow:

MT

A liquid spore syringe with Texas strain, and apparently i used way more than I needed per jar. Oh well, live and learn after all that's what we are here for. I know I have personally gained a wealth of knowlodge from this forum. Having the opportunity to ask questions of those who have already made the journey makes things much easier.

malabar

MT,
  Very cool.  It's learning and sharing which keeps this forum moving forward. 
      Keep the wheels turning,...

MT

My quart jars are colonizing quite rapidly. I can certainly see where I could have used way less spore solution. One jar is about 80% colonized and the other five are getting close to 50% or better after 17 days.

malabar

MT,
    You are looking Great!   :ph34r:  But, as usual,.....  I'm Trippin'  Bawlz!
  But, seriously,....  I would be thinking g2g very soon.  Keep the dreams alive,..   -_- 
  Gotta go now,......  22g dried, and I think it's time to watch the waves and stars here at the beach.
        Life is Great!     :rolleyes:   Run with it and Enjoy!
  ~Malabar    :mellow:

coyoteyogi

22g dried, and I think it's time to watch the waves and stars
Holy Crap Batman. How can you even type?
Happy Trails...

malabar

Trust me,......  It was a Very interesting evening.   -_-  And the stars over Florida were bright and alive for sure last night! 
    :ph34r:

fattrout

malabar, nice to hear you had a interesting evening. i know if i ate 22gs, i'd be on my back on the beach all nite...  :ph34r:
btw, i bet those waves were intense!!!!  :mellow:
fattrout

fungiguy

WOW. 22 grams!!! i thougt i was a radical taking 6 to 8 grams. most of the time i take 4 grams. but when the time is right, i'm gonna try 10 grams. you know, time of day, setting, and of course where my head is. everything has to be in line. tip of the hat malabar :mellow: