Hi Rye,

Started by dub504, July 28, 2009, 04:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub504

Where do ya'll find Rye? @ my local feed store they don't carry it. They have white millet, cracked corn etc.... In the winter months they will carry rye grass seed. Is that the same thing as rye berry?
Opinions welcomed!

malabar

Dub,
  Try your local health food store.  It will be pricey there though.  I colonize rye grain, but can't explain the distinction between that and berries.  You might  Google around, or check E-bay for bulk amounts of either.
   :ph34r:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dub504

Health food is hard to find in new orleans. Turns out southern cookin' means fried.

malabar

Dub,
  I haven't been your way in a while but I have a good friend in Bossier, La.  She grows on Rye grain that she gets either there or Shreveport.   If that is to far, check your search engine for Algiers,......  That is right across the bridge kind of from you,..right?
  I'll call my friend and see if I can't get the info on her source.  If I can, I'll send it PM.
  ~Malabar   :mellow:

dub504

shroomzer

Yeah our local 'health store' doesn't carry rye either.  It must be just in certain parts of the country .. ??

malabar

Shroomzer,
  Hard to believe it is that hard to locate.  It's readily available at Bio-Max, The Green Marketplace, and few other smaller health food stores here in Florida.  They keep it in open barrels along with other grains, weigh it out and sell it by the pound. 
  When I first started buying and using it back in the 80's, it was sold in all groceries and health food stores in New York, even NYC.
  Have you asked the store owners about it.  Generally if they don't have it they will get it for you.

fattrout

thats why i have been playing with popcorn. rye is hard to find out here in cali..
and thats funny, because you would think. with all the fruits and nuts out here. there would be some grain..lol   i guess it could be that everybody here grows pot..lol  :ph34r:
fattrout

malabar

Fattrout,
  You are probably right about everyone out there likes to grow weed more than anything else.  But, I was turned on to Rye grains in Cali.  Back in the commune days @ Bill Wheelers, up north near Pacifica Manor.
  But, like I said,..  That was a lot of years ago,..  When we were "Hippies"?  lol
   ~Malabar    :mellow:

fattrout

malabar, HO those where the days!!  -_-
we have been to our local health food store (whole foods). when we ask for rye grain they look at us like duh. :huh:  but there is a hydro store on every corner.. :ph34r:
fattrout

malabar

Fattrout,
  I guess as life goes on, we should be happy that they will never stop stocking the shelves of the good old Walmart, or Piggly Wiggly with Brn. Rice, Popcorn, Millet, and Oats.
  But, I do think I have seen someone offer Rye grain, and the berries on E-Bay.  I just happened to be looking over the little woman's shoulder as she did that online shopping that she does so well,.......   lol    :rolleyes:

fattrout

i know if i look hard enough, i can find it. some of it is probably laziness. i think i'll smoke a joint. lol  ^_^
fattrout

Ritter

Teah, I get it at the local health food store referd as (Rye Berries) in some stores.
"Ritter"