millet

Started by fungiguy, August 09, 2009, 09:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

just picked up some millet at walmart. i have a jar of popcorn already colonized with cambodians. gonna g2g the popcorn to the millet. how long do i soak, and drain the millet before pc'ing it?? malabar, are you around? i know you use millet.

fungiguy

do cambodians like growing on millet? if not, which strains do?

malabar

Fungiguy,
  Congratulations!   You are the Man!   :ph34r:  I'm glad to see Someone was successful in locating the millet.   If it's the millet sprays I get you'll break it down, ( remove the grain from the branches ), and pop it right into the jars.  No soaking involved.
  All cubes Love this stuff!    :rolleyes:

First of all,....  Are you using the Millet alone?  Or mixing it with another grain?

My best recipe is a 50/50 blend of, Brn Rice/Millet.>>>
                     ------------------------------------------------
***  I'll guess you are working w/pt jars,......
  You won't want to have too much substrate in the jar, or colonization will be a problem due to the lack of gas exchange.

Mix the brn rice and millet individually in each jar, to a total amount of 1/2 cup ( 4 oz ).  Shake the jar around to mix the two grains up.
  Add just enough H2O to start to see the grain start to rise, ( just about 3 oz) and the top layer separate about 1/8".  Then prep your lids, and slosh the mix around a bit.
  Pop the jars in the PC for 45 - 60 minutes, and you are good to inoculate when they are cool.  Generally within 3 - 4 hours.

* If you are doing g2g, you will see results within 2 days, and total colonization probably in 5 - 7 days.  Rarely will you have to shake or bother them until you are ready to case or spawn. 
  Easy enough.
If you were going to use the millet without rice, you will probably reduce the amount of water to 2oz.

~Malabar    :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fungiguy

well i already started to soak the millet. is that ok?? i bought the millet sprays.

malabar

Fungiguy,
  How long have they been soaking??    Did you remove the grains from the branches?? 
  You got the right ones,.  packed by Hartz, the birdseed people. 
If you have started a soak, I would move forward with the program you had originally planned on. 
  As I explained earlier,...  I don't soak the sprays, and never encountered an issue,........  Ever!
  Take notes, and keeps a log for the future. 

fungiguy

i was gonna soak for 24 hours. i did get the stuff made by hartz. i removed the millet from the branches. do i have to break it up real fine? it kind of looks like little buds of pot. after the soak, mix in some brf, then pc for 90 mins. let cool, then g2g from popcorn.

malabar

Fungiguy,
  You would want to break the "buds", just as though you were going to roll a doobie.    DONT THROW AWAY THE SEEDS!  Use everything . You can even chop and use the branches.
  As for that BRF,..  I use Whole brn rice,.....  It's cheap, ( about $1.25 for 2 lbs ) and you can do about 5 - 6 qts, or double in Pts.
  I never use brf in my work,...  Don't like it, and it would be a reverse curve for me.
  ~Malabar   :mellow:

fungiguy

ok, so ineed to break up the millet a little more. i like the sound of whole brown rice. i still don't have a pc. i can handle 5 pints at once. trying to keep the operation small, but productive.

malabar

Yes,.  Break the puppies up.  And whole brown rice is easy.  All grains are.

fungiguy

have you ever tried just whole brown rice?

malabar

Fungiguy,
    Yep,...  That's what I grow on almost always.    -_-
  Brn Rice is Cheap, Easy, Readily Available in Every grocery store and it's a Great nutritional source for the little guys!