Incubator and Strange Colour

Started by BudSte, August 23, 2009, 04:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BudSte

Hi there,
   I bought an incubator two weeks ago, keeping it set at 86 degrees, and some of the jars I put into it have developed a bluish shading, as well as the overall whiteness of the colonization darkening.
    Should I be concerned, and do you have any recommendations as to what I'm doing wrong because I had none of these problems before buying the incubator.
     Should I throw out the jars which have developed this bluing?? Thanks a lot, and hope I can get help on this.

Rave On,
    Barry

malabar

Hey Bud,
  Welcome to the room. 
Just curious,...  Why would you buy an incubator?   I have seen people use a cardboard box covered with a dark cloth as and incubator.  Anywho,..
  First issue I think you are going to have to address is that Temperature,.    Way Too High!  The jars are generating heat of their own,.  up to 4 - 5 degrees which is putting you on the a critical list of problems.  Get your temperature down to about 82F.  Otherwise, contamination is going to be a major concern for you.
  The bluing is an indicator,..    Maybe signaling the temperature  is too high, or dehydrating or bruising if you are handling them a lot.
  I would not toss the jars based on the bluing, especially if they is massive healthy growth going on.
  To better assist you, as we instruct all others, give us photos.  You can use the photobucket.com, or imageshack.com to upload what you are seeing for us.
  Next, Stop buying stuff that you can do on your own!
    ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

BudSte

Hi Malabar,
    Thanks for your info, and I'll drop the temperature immediately. I'd read where the more constant the temperature, the faster the colonization, and it said they should be kept at 86 degrees, but I didn't take into consideration the temperature in the jars.
    I feel stupid for not asking first, but I've learnt a valuable lesson, and will supply a pic next time, should the bluing get any worse. Thanks again.

Rave On,
    Barry

malabar

Bud,
  There is no reason to actually feel stupid, but there are too many resources available here and on the shroomery.org to fail due to simple errors.
  As you move along, and gain a bit of experience and confidence you will be able to "bend" some rules, or develop techniques of your own that may/will work better for you.  Also you will find quite a few different opinions offered from many of your new friends, which reflects their personal experience and the small "tweeks" they have found that also work best for them.
  So read, research and ask.  You will have success  with patience and attentive perseverance.
  GL
     ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

Deadneck

Bud,

Welcome to the site. Malabar & (PW: who you will soon meet) and other pros will never steer you wrong! Read, research, and use the "search function" on this site and on the Shroomery.org and you'll be fine.

Later,
Deadneck

shroomzer

All said is true.  If I CAN DO IT, anyone can ;).  But with the discoloration keep an eye on it.  If it comes down to it give it a smelling .. for if it smells like rotten apples or something funky besides fresh shrooms, you could be doomed.  As I have always done in the past, when in doubt (if any at all) toss it out!! Sucks but you might have to do it and begin again.  Learn and reasearch .. gets the job done.  Lots of info here and on the shroomry as indicated.   GL =)