first casing questions

Started by mustang1986, August 16, 2009, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang1986

i just done my first casing last night should it incubate at 80? and how long till i should fruit it? i know im supposed to when i see mycelium but about how should that take

malabar

Mustang,
  Incubate at a constant temp.  80F -82F
When you see the first signs of mycelium, mist lightly, and introduce to the FC.
  Fruiting will come shortly after,.  A week or so, if you have done your job correctly.
  Keep up with these threads.  Everything you need is here, unless you encounter a new problem.
  GL
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

shroomzer

I inc. at 82-85 degrees, and if I peek after 4 days and even see anything at all, I move it to the FC and mist it real good.  Worked for me in my last caseing and my second flush is growing now~!

dub504

Yeah, I move my casings to the FC when I start to see the myc come through. You don't want big patches of myc.

fungiguy

what happens if you leave them in the incubator too long?

malabar

Fungiguy,
  How long you talking about??    :huh:  If it's mearly a day or few after "we" would/should relocate to the FC,....  Probably nothing.   
  Again, a photo says volumes,...  And, without a visual, we can only guess and give scenarios.
  If the casings have been incubating long enough, for mycelium to develop to completely overgrow the surface, "overlay",..  Fruiting will unlikely occur unless you scrape off that layer, re-case, and the bed recovers after another incubation period.
  Left alone long enough, that very same vegetative growth could very well choke the life from your beds, since it can no longer breath.
  Honestly, I need more,.visuals, and/or specific parameters, ( how long, temps, etc. ) that you are dealing with.
  ~Malabar   :mellow:

fungiguy

malabar, i was just curious. a couple of my pans were left in mabye a day or two too long--no big deal. now they are in my fc and myc is growing like crazy. it has been 5 days and i did not think they were gonna pin. but this morning i checked on them and BAM, pins-pins and more pins. life is good.

dub504

I have that problem w the PE strain. I start to see it pop through. I put it in the FC and it just continues to vegetate and take the casing. I still had a big flush from the last casing. The same thing is happening w one I put in before I left. I patched but pics my gal sent show it's taking over. Not a problem w other strains...

malabar

Fungiguy,
  If the wheels are working, don't try to fix them.  At the very least, make mental notes for the future and you will be that much more prepared for these little hurdles.
  ~Malabar    :mellow: