WHICH IS BETTER TO STORE DRY MUSHROOMS

Started by sTAYhIGH4:20, August 23, 2009, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sTAYhIGH4:20

Just wondering whether it is better to store dry shrooms in  a wooden box with silica or a sealed glass jar with silica? Ive heard of both and  would like alittle help plz.

psilocybin warrior

I havnt heard of using silica for storage. Mason jars never do me wrong.

PW

malabar

I use a combination of similar methods.
I will however warm you to take care when using Silica Gel.  I wouldn't feel comfortable using the "raw" exposed crystals, since there is a risk of poisoning ones self.  Ever notice the DO Not Eat warning on those little paper packets??
  But, if you have friendly relations with a pharmacist, especially one that mixes compounds, they might provide you with the 2-in1 cans, or Multisorb Packets.  The pkts are a silica/carbon compound sealed in tyvek, and approved for food and drug storage.
  After drying, I place a packet in the container with my shrooms of either;
Sealed mason jars that I place in the pantry, or vaccum seal-a-meal bags that I will freeze until I want to use them.
  As for storage using wood,.  I think there will be problems unless the wood is Cedar.  Every wood other than cedar, will promote molding, so unless you just happen to have a convenient cedar cabinet around, wood isn't really an option.
  Of course this is my preference, and experience after doing my homework and trials.

You can get detailed info on the multi paks and the facts, ( good/bad ) about other silica products at www.multisorb.com .
  ~Malabar    :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

shroomzer

I havn't had any problems with storing them in a mason jar.

coyoteyogi

I was given one of those vacuum bag thingies for my birthday years ago. Never had a use for it until I began this hobby. Once the shrooms are cracker dry they get weighed and put in a bag, sealed shut, labeled and dated. No worries.

sTAYhIGH4:20

thanks abunch for the help. Ill be using the glass jars now. I also think the silica gel packets  i ordered are food and drug safe, with indicating crystals. but not the blue kind. The site may have just been blowin smoke too.

malabar

4:20,
  It sounds as though you probably have a valid product.  I might suggest that if you place a packets on the bottom of your jar, place a coffee filter over it.
   This will separate your shrooms from the packet, and insure minimal contact in the event of a break or purge in the packet.
  But, as long as you get them cracker dry prior to storing, you should be good to go!

fattrout

yeah, the mason jar works good for me. i had recently eat some G.T.s i had stored away about 8 months ago and they kick my ass...  :mellow:
fattrout

shroomzer

4:20 - how long you planning on storing your product?  I mean I store enough that it isn't necessary to have those little packets in any of what I store and trust me I have a bit stored up by now.  To me its a waste of $$ but if you have money to burn then do it.  I would only do it IF I had a large amount that wasn't going to be used for an extended time, maybe not even then.  If they are cracker dry they are good for long periods of time.  I watched the video that says once they are picked and dryed (cracker dry) put them in a plastic bag, then put that bag in a brown lunch paper bag and throw them in a closet and they are good 8-10 months I believe.  Just my opinion.

Maximillian1

Once they are dried they are like any other dried vegetable or fruit. They will keep almost indefinitely in any container. I've stored mine in a small Rubbermaid storage container in the vegetable bin in the fridge. If you're really concerned you can chop them up and mix them in honey or any type of potent, drinkable alcohol that you enjoy.

cugak

I dont have a food dehydratior, so can i maybe use an oven or a microwave on its minimum? 90 degreas celzia max?
share international

malabar

Cugak,
  I'm not too sure you would want to trust your microwave for drying,...  I have never tried it, of heard of it being done either. 
  Without a dehydrator, you can just let them air dry using a fan to circulate the air, or let them rest over the vents of an old TV or some low temp electronic device.  I've seen a friend leave them on the exit fans of his computer, and they dried in less than a day.
  Now is when you need to be McGuyver ,........   :rolleyes:

cugak

share international

psilocybin warrior

I would think the microwave would cook em up pretty quick if they were fresh. Air drying is fine, once they're cracker dry toss em into a mason jar.

PW