Inoculation Complete. Now what?

Started by athornsbee, August 31, 2009, 09:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

athornsbee

I am a beginner at this, and I just recently began my first attempt. I have inoculated 12 jars with 2 different types of spores. It has been 2 weeks since, and nothing seems to be happening at all. I had one jar contaminated and no signs of contamination with any of the other jars, but there are also no signs of any mycelium forming. I can tell where we have inserted the syringes into each jar becuase the substrate looks wet in those areas, but as I said before there are absolutely no signs of mycelium formation. Anyone have any advice as to what could be wrong? What things could I try to promote the formation of mycelium?

coyoteyogi

What TEK (systematic procedure) are you following?
Temps?
Location?
Where did you get your spores?
How often do you check your jars?
Were the jars hot when you innocced?
More info needed.
Welcome to the forum.

malabar

Athornsbee,
  I, myself can only guess that you are starting w/BRF.  My experience is very specific,.,  Grains, grain spawn and outdoor growing, but it is not unheard of for spores to not show signs of growth for up to 21 days or longer.  It's rare, but not unheard of.
  If you have done your research, and followed the tek information available, you should be showing some positive signs soon. 
  Since you have experienced contamination ( the downside ), that indicates that you have met some of the basic environmental parameters for growth, since bacteria, molds and contams also require similar conditions, --  with the addition of a negative event or contact.
  Now you will experience the hardest part a "new" grower lives through,......  the Wait. 
  You will soon see, that until you at least have an clue, or a few grows under your belt whereas you can make predictions, that patience is now your middle name. 
  Learn to like it, and review your research, and take notes if need.  We are all hear and willing to help, but you will have to also give us more to work with,...  conditions, substrate, species,.....
    GL
  ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

athornsbee

I'm using PF Classic and Hawaiians. I let the jars fully cool down before inoculating them. I literally sterilized my entire workspace with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. I was surprised to have contamination. I am using the BRF Tek. I check on my jars once a day. I'm keeping my jars in a dark closet inside a server cabinet. The temp stays consistently at 70 in the house, so I've put a humidifier in the bottom of the cabinet to keep it warmer where my jars are. How long can the jars sit with out any production before I should give up on them and start over from scratch.

malabar

Athornsbee,
  OK, now that we have a little more to work with,.... 
   A.)   It appears that you have done your homework, and covered the basics.  Though I would recommend going one step further, and invest in a good supply of Lysol as well.  It is your friend!   :ph34r:

1.)  Location sounds good, ( darkness ), though the temperature is Way TOO LOW!  Your ambient room temp should definitely be in the 80F - 84F degree range.  No less  than 79F, and not exceeding 84F.  The jars will produce some heat when growth begins, so we don't want death in the early stages of development.

2.)  That idea of having a humidifier in the closet,...  I don't know what to tell you about that.  It wouldn't be my choice.  I realize it's safer than a heater, but that moisture that is produced, may be your key and point of contamination.  You don't want Extremely dry heat, but you already have moisture in the mix and by adding more you introduce an avenue for contamination. 

3.)  As for the length of time they can sit without growth,.....  Generally not too much more than your jars have already.  Unless refridgerated. 
  I'm thinking your room temperature has stalled the opportunity for growth, or tricked the substrate into thinking it is cool enough not to spoil. This may give you another chance to kick them into drive. 
    ** Get them into a warmer environment.  If there is no change in a few days, or they start to smell,.....  Back to the beginning you go! .

I can't give you any 1st hand info as to the reliability of the sporestore.com , but I do recall hearing some noise about them a short while ago.  Perhaps about their shipping history.  Hopefully not their spore virility.
     GL

athornsbee

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I had a feelling it may have been the temp. in the grow space. I will have to get a heater as soon as possible as it would be to hot in the house if i cranked the thermostat up to 80 degrees. A appriciate all of you advice.

malabar

Athornsbee,
  Perhaps you have a closet, or area that you can incubate that contains a hot water heater.  I have a walk in sized closet with a water heater for my pool, and hot tub, that I use for incubating. 
  Of course being in Florida also has it's perks.  This way I can keep it 82F degrees all year in there.

nomoredroughts

i also had this problem with hawaiians an keepers creepers form the sporestore.looking at my log it took 27 days to see the first sign of myc. on the hawaiians and 32 days on the keepers
DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHICKEN!!!!

coyoteyogi

Malabar nailed it. Try Raphsters or Earthstongue next time, I've had good results from both. Also why not start a second round. It is fun to grow these amazing fungi. Most of us have projects at various phases all the time. :mellow:

athornsbee

NOMOREDROUGHTS,
After your first signs of mycelium showed up did your cakes do ok? I really don't want to spare any of them. I am also hesitant to start a new batch until I figure out what is going wrong with this batch.

acadam

Don't plan on anything growing in those jars. SPORESTORE IS A RIPOFF!!!!!! from my own expierience and I have never read anything good about them.

malabar

The jars can be used in the future, no matter what contam issue you have had,........  other that radioactivity!
  A good solid bleach soak, and thorough washing is all you will need to do.  But, since the jars are rather cheap in cost, you can toss them if you like.
   ~Malabar    :mellow:

fattrout

athornsbee, welcome to the forum. it looks like everybody got you covered, theres not much i could add.. :mellow:
except maybe, Bacterial contamination is usually colorless, but makes the substrate look wet, slimy, and mycelium will grow very slow and thick on bacteria contaminated substrate, if at all. Bacterial contamination is also detectable by a strong odor emerging from the jar, varying from the smell of stinky feet over spoiled milk to really disgusting sweet reek.. but i do not think thats your problem.. it could be the spores, i too have had bad luck with the SPORESTORE..
try http://www.ralphstersspores.com/  or http://www.microsporetech.com/spores.htm
i have had very good luck with both of these places..
hope this info helps, fattrout

p.s. lysol  :ph34r:
fattrout

darksyde

athornsby,

I have had great success with all 6 different strains I have purchased from www.thehawkseye.com.  I just noc'd up a jar of rye 9 days ago with cambodian and it ripped thru the entire jar in 6 days.. I did a g2g transfer to 16 other jars (pint size wide mouth) and after 3 days, they,re almost completly ready to go.  Prices are good and shipping is fast. good luck!

dub504

That's a good addition darksyde. I've used ralphsters and hawkseye and they are both solid sources. Next time I try a new strain I'll probably go through microsporetech, they're just so cheap and I've heard good things.