casing materials

Started by jabwemet, September 11, 2009, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabwemet

I'm about to start my first casing attempt.  I was going to do 60% peat moss, 30% verm and 10% lime BUT I realized that I have a bunch of peat-based potting soil in my shed already.  One is composed of peat hummus, peat moss,
sand, perlite and verm; another is the same but with pine bark instead of peat hummus.

Are either or these viable for casing?  I'd hate to waste the stuff I already have but I'm definetely willing to buy new stuff if it means better chances of success. 

Thanks!
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

MT

The first mixture that you noted should work. I'm not to sure about the one with pine bark though. Be sure to sterilize it.

malabar

J,
  I am pretty sure either will work, though 10% lime sounds like a pretty high ratio. 
  Like MT stated, be sure to sterilize.  And, if you have the capability w/o expense, I might suggest you test your PH to be sure you are not running to high on the acid.
  GL
   ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

jabwemet

if I use the first one mentioned (peat hummus, peat moss, sand, verm, perlite) should I still add more verm to it? 

I've read a few mentions that casing isn't really necessary for cubes.  Thoughts?  If it's not really going to influence net yield, I might as well not risk it.

dub504

If you're growing PF Tek you don't need to case, w/ grains you do. Although I've read some teks growing invitro w/ verm and grains in a jar! Casing will improve yields.

jabwemet

My jars are almost ready to case, but I lost one today to green mold (finally- my first contam).  My quesiton is- how much elbow room is ok in the casing tray between cakes?  The tray I got holds 6 cakes perfectly, with a tiny bit more elbow room than the pics in english/casing; if I only put 5 in, will that be too much free space?  I might crumble them, but will that make the myc layer too thin?

k12357

a little room is ok.  the mycelium will take over the casing material anyway.  you can cut a cake into wedges and put them in the cracks to make it tighter if you feel it is to loose.  ive never crumbled cakes before, and ive heard arguments for both sides of the crumbling issue.  your choice.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."