AT LAST

Started by athornsbee, September 12, 2009, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

athornsbee

Some of you may or may not have read my previous post titled
"Innoculation Complete, Now What?". Well heres an update.

I ended up scrapping my first attempt. The temperature was all wrong in my grow space. So, after 3 weeks of no growth, I finally gave in and opened my jars. To find that all of them were contaminated with Forest Green Mold. What a bummer. In reaction to some of the responses to my last post, I was beginning to worry that sporestore.com sent me bunk syringes. Although discouraged I began my second attempt less than a week ago, and I am already seeing my first signs of mycelium growth, in just 3 days. I am relieved and ultimately suprised that this second attempt has worked, after all the trouble I was having with my first. Thanks for all the advice. I am so excited, and can't wait to post some pictures.

malabar

Athornsbee,
  I am happy to hear that you are now seeing signs of initial growth with this attempt. 
  On the other hand ,....  I hope you took measures that have been repeatedly  mentioned in almost Every post to do a Thorough Cleaning !  And, No sparring the LYSOL , since you opened the Contaminated jars (  I hope not in the growing area or house ).   And those jars,.  Bleach soak and clean, or toss them
  Since you are now heading, in perhaps the right direction, do more research, continue to read the posts, ask questions and take notes to be able to identify your errors and narrow your path towards Future successful grows.
  GL
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

cugak

Yes beginings, faileurs can be very frustraiting. But you must realise, that in the future youll have more faileurs to come with new problems. Be patient and everything will be ok!
share international

Cameltom

you should try some self healing inoculation points on ur lids
its really easy
make three holes

O cover this side with silicone   O Poly fill in the center   O cover this side with silicone

from right to left
let silicone dry and add pollyfill (fake cotten) for gas exchange

room408

camel sounds like a cool idea... you just inject right through the silicone and it will close up on itself huh?

paytheprice102

Awsome! this is my first grow I orderd spores from sporstore and sporeworks. The result sporestore is garbage for me any way and sporeworks is the best only a opinion.

emick

Camelton,

quick question re: your self-healing inoculation holes...

I thought one of the benefits of having the 4 holes as described in the PF tek was to allow for gas exchange.  By putting silicone over the holes, aren't you eliminating or limiting the possibility of this exchange?

Also, I wasn't clear from your explanation what you were descibing.  Do you put silicone on each side of the lid with poly in the middle?

dub504

Here is a Polyfil Tek
http://www.fungifun.org/English/Polyfil
The Polyfil is for gas exchange.

Put the 4 inoculation holes 90 deg apart near the outside edge of the lid. Use clear RTV silicone (so you can see where the holes are when you inoculate) to coat each hole on both sides of the lid. Make sure you cover a bit further out from the holes w/ the silicone so you don't push it through the hole. I prefer plastic lids. You can drill your holes without getting metal shavings everywhere.

emick

Got it (I think)--poly for the vent hole, RTV Silicone for the inoculation holes?  Plastic lids are a good idea.  I have a few dozen Kerr 1/2 pint wide mouth jars but only have the standard lids for them--know anyplace that sells plastic lids that will fit em?

dub504

You got it.
Online: Ball plastic wide mouth lids, but really, the metal ones will work fine too.
If you are doing PF Tek you don't need lids. You can just use the layers of foil.

elephant

For what it's worth, my first experiments were done with sporestore syringes and produced only mold. I have had better luck with spores101 products.
  E.