cakes in f/c not fruiting ?

Started by paytheprice102, September 14, 2009, 06:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paytheprice102

ok I started with 20 colinized jars, I dunked and rolled half of them and stuck them in the f/c. Its been 9 days and all the ones I dunkend and rolled good looking yeld comming.The ones I just put in the f/c nothing. I am wondering if I should remain patient or dunk and roll those 2.
Any advice will be much apprciated thanks.

coyoteyogi

not enough information. What is the temp in the FC? What is the relative humidity? Nine days is not that long if the conditions are right. The cakes have a mind of their own when it comes to fruiting.

paytheprice102

well the temp is 80 and humidity is 96 I have 3 terrariums all same condition.

dub504

Your fruiting temp is too high. Keep it @ 74-77 deg.

fattrout

yep, fruit temp needs to be about 75... your RH for cakes should be 99+..
fattrout

jonny boy

is there any tricks to lowering to the temp? its pretty hot over here in cali.. maybe a fan? or would that just blow out the r/h

malabar

Jonny boy,
  There are very few "tricks" involved with relief from high temperatures.  Only techniques.
  First we will need to know what you are doing for your rh.  If you are using the tropic aire, or close facsimile, it is possible that by an increase of air input your temps will drop, but, you will have to be careful that you don't loose your rh factor.  I am in Florida, and trust me,... It seems to stay hot here except for about 3 weeks around New Years.  But, I have the A/C on even when the windows are open for fresh air.
  Do you not use A/C in the house?  The ambient temperature of the overall environment should help dictate or assist in regulating the temps of your FCs.
  And a fan,though I have heard of them being used, will introduce other risk factors for contamination.
  If you are hand fanning, the temps will drop every time you open the FC, but the rh drops, and there is that contam risk again.
  Fattrout lives out your way, so when he spots your post, perhaps he will have a suggestion or two.
  GL.
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fattrout

jonny boy, cross your fingers  lol.. ^_^
its not easy keeping the temp down out here. i'm lucky my hobby room, is a walk in closet under a set of stairs, at the center of the house. so the temp stays fairly consistant year round.. but on those 100+ day turn on the A/C... :ph34r:
bottom line is what malabar said, fan and mist more often.....
good luck
fattrout

paytheprice102

OK iam using perlite for my rh and keeping the room temp around 80 there in a walk in closet and I give them a couple hours of blue light a day. How can I raise the r/h? I tried using a heat pad and nothing really but loss of r/h.

malabar

"Price" ,
  Am I to understand that your FC is "passive",... and that you are relying strictly on pearlite for rh?   If so.  Did you soak it properly prior to placing it in the FC? 
  What type of container is the FC?  Aquarium? Rubbermaid?  old Condom?   ....lol  Sorry,.... had to have a moment!     ^_^  Seriously, I do need more to give you valid direction.  A photo would save at least a thousand words.
    A Major thought ,....  Get rid of that heating pad !  You are on the road to disaster there.  You are trying to fruit,....not incubate.  And I am guessing you don't live in the Arctic or Polar Ice Cap.
  Like Fattrout stated earlier in this post.  Your goal should be the mid 70F degree range.  The casings will fruit at higher temps, but there are a lot of problems to be associated with the higher temps. Keep things well under 80F !
  Besides your fruits will grow to be  Healthier, and Stronger when allowed to develop at lower temperatures.
   ~Malabar   :mellow:

acadam

r/h does not require heat. You can have 100% RH in cool temps
also.

GIT r Done :ph34r:

psilocybin warrior

A pic would really help us in figuring how to raise your rh. All you've let us known is your using perlite. How much perlite? how much surface area is exposed? is there any standing water? are your fc's holes drilled in the right places? are there enough of them?.... post a pic. if you want accurate help.

PW

paytheprice102

f/c is a rubermade tote with holes5 fingers from the bottom about 3 in. apart all the way around.
Then perlite not soaked in water but washed with water put in tote a inch below the holes.
All holes were filed with polyfil eventuly I taped some of the holes up.
So how can i raise the rh or next time what can I do?
I really appreciate the help.

malabar

"Price",
  As PW and I both told you, a photo is the only way to accurately be able to diagnose your problem.  And, not knowing the size of the rubbermaid isn't making this any easier!     :angry:
   But, with what you have described, here is the best guess and course of action that I can throw out there,..

1)  You say you did not soak the pearlite.    If you have done your homework, you would know that is a must, to fill those nooks and crannies .  Then strain and place into the FC, at a depth of at least 2" IMO.

2)  You have holes every 3"  ?.?.    Get a roll of Electrical Tape, and get to taping!     Tape all but perhaps 3 on the shortest side, and 4 on the longest side .  So I can " guessimate " a hole every 5 - 6 inches apart.  If that doesn't raise the RH enough, tape a couple more of the longer side.  Play with it.  You are already in trouble so, you can't go any further south.
  *** The holes shouldn't be larger than 1/4 " Any holes I have that aren't bringing tubing in, are 1/8 " or 3/16 " .
  You should bounce over to the Shroomery, and do more research to be sure you have your game together. 
  Lots of folks get discouraged after failure due to not following instructions.
   You have to walk before you run, son.
    And, again Photos! Photos! Photos!
     That is the answer to getting the real assistance.  Visuals.
    GL.
     ~Malabar     :mellow: