grain innoculation

Started by jabwemet, September 14, 2009, 05:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

malabar, what did you use to case with? did you roll them in verm?

malabar

Fungiguy,
  Those are cased with 60/40, ( Peat/Verm ).  They were cased in those plastic ice cream containers.  A thin layer on the bottom, dump the millet, or brn. rice out of the jar intact, ( with colonization, it takes the shape of the jar), then fill in the container around the colonized substrate, and on top, mist, then incubate. 
  Over the next couple of days the mycelium pokes through, and all has taken on the shape of the plastic container.  Flip it over and out onto a lid, some foil, or whatever,.....  And away you go to the FC!
  Mist this heavily, and you can actually let your tropic aire do it's thing until the ins appear.
  When the mounds start to fruit as heavily as mine do, I tend to come through and increase my FAE, to allow for addition evaporation since I will mist every other day ( even with the tropic aire ), to support all of the fruits that are pumped out on these babies.
  Hope that helps you brother.
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dub504

I was wondering how you did that too. Now I see. That's a really great idea/tek!

darksyde

how do you (or do you) patch it up after picking the little guys?

malabar

Darksyde / Dub,
  After I have picked All of the fruit, then I will spray the mounds very heavily, wait a few moments then roll in my casing mix.  Then back to the FC, where I will mist them again, and let the good times roll.
  As you see, the rewards are well worth the few tedious steps.     -_-

malabar

And now,.......  Almost right where I want them!  Just one more day,... 
    :ph34r:

jabwemet

...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

fungiguy

do you think i can get the same results using popcorn? it does become the shape of the mason jar until i shake it up. always searching for different avenues.   -_-

dub504

I would think it would work w/ any grains. That myc is like the T-1000! In a good way! IMO I think it's really only useful to shake the jars once to redistribute the colonized grains. In a G2G it's almost pointless to shake after the initial transfer, but again that's just my opinion.

malabar

Fungiguy,
  I am sure you cam follow the same steps with popcorn.  Any grain will take the shape of its container, since the mycelium "weaves" a network of strands.
  As for the results, that is another issue.  I was never very impressed with the performance of popcorn.
  Try it, you may be pleased with what you get!

fattrout

malabar, i'm going to give it a try, with pop corn. i have 18 jars going right now.so i think i'll play with some...  :ph34r:
fattrout

malabar

Cool enough Fattrout.  I know you Luv that popcorn!    -_-
GL with it.  Keep me apprised to your progress Bro.

cugak

What would you say, which grain is the best for g2g?
share international

dub504

I don't think it really matters. If it's colonized and you can break it up a bit, it will work.

cugak

Well my colonized millet in soled so i can only cut it with a knife! And i dont know, how will work using knife infront of a laminar flow hood. What do u think!

Maybe brown rice or barley is more easy to separe just by shaking the jar?
share international

malabar

Dub is correct.  Any grain Will work, provided you have not let it colonize to the point that it appears you have Cugak.  Not that you have done anything wrong at all.
   In theory, you should be able to bounce the grains apart in a gloved palm of your hand, or on a bicycle tire.  If your millet has taken on that solid a form, it is an Excellent candidate for my my plastic container casing method.
  And Cugak got is right that the "heavier" grains will always separate easier.
  Remember, don't get frustrated,.....  Have fun with it!    -_-

shroomzer

malabar

Well, Thank you,.thank you Very much Shroomzer,....... :rolleyes:
    :ph34r:

fungiguy

malabar, when you did your casings, did you use the plastic lids that go with the container?

malabar

Fungiguy,
  No my friend, I just wrapped the top with a single piece of heavy duty foil.   Incubated them at 82F and 2 days later when they were peeking through, released them and into the FC.