grain innoculation

Started by jabwemet, September 14, 2009, 05:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyoteyogi

I assume you pasteurize the peat/verm? Those are kick-ass cakes Malabar.

malabar

Coyoteyogi,
  Thanks my friend!   -_-
Since I have always been a grain guy, from day one Everything has gone into the PC.  Grains, Casing, bulk materials, utensils,........  Everything goes into the PC for 45 minutes @ 15 psi.
  My results are consistent enough to support my brand of quality control.
     ~Malabar    :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

jabwemet

OK I just loaded my millet jars into my brand spankin new Presto 23-quart.  To prepare, I rinsed the millet thoroughly, soaked for 45 minutes then rinsed/drained again.  I followed the measurements on grain for simple minds and when the jars were prepared, they were a bit more than 1/3 full of millet, with the water about a centimeter higher than the grain level.  Does that sound about right?  I'll post some pictures of the PC'ed jars once they are done to see what you guys think of the water retention.
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

cugak

If you soak millet for some hours and drain it for couple of hours, you dont want standind water in your jar! Thats enought!
share international

jabwemet

i only soaked it for 30 minutes.  so if I soak it... don't follow grain for simple minds?  it still seemed relatively dry after a 30 minute soak

jabwemet

if I don't follow the simple minds directions and just put soaked and rinsed millet in the jars, how much millet per jar?  Grain for simple minds ends up to be about a third of the jar, which isn't much; i just assumed that the millet would absorb water and cook up a bit in the PC.

psilocybin warrior

Soaking it is not what makes the grain absorb water, it allows endospores (potential contams) to germinate before the PC. Simmering is for absorbtion. If you're following the simple minds tek, the grains will absorb the water in the PC and expand, due to heat.

PW

jabwemet

so... it IS ok to have standing water in the jars. 

ok, then time to get the PC up and running again.

you guys are confusing me!

:huh:

malabar

Jabwemet,
  I hate to add any further confusion to your project, but,.....  I am a little beyond the simple minds, and with time have learned the differences between substrates by eye.
  >>When I prepare Millet, I mearly add enough water to Hydrate the grain,...  not really even a soak.   I then pour off essentially All of the water , leaving it damp, ( it will appear visually dry, but the consistency is just about the same as casing ).
  The Fact is that Millet will not absorb very much water, ( as in the "heavier" grains ) and there is no true expansion, so you can fill your jars to whatever level you wish.  However, I wouldn't go further than 2/3 of the jar, as they need room to breath and you would like a safe distance also from your lid or covering.
  As for whether you really have to worry about the endospores has to do with the millet you are using.  If it is roughly processed,..  I say soak it.  If it is processed for human or house pet consumption,..  Take it straight to the PC process.
  Don't read too much into this,..... Millet is the easiest of all grains to prepare.
   ~Malabar   :mellow:

jabwemet

Malabar, so what you're saying is that I don't add water to the jars once I've put the millet in?  Just brief soak, rinse, then into the jars with no extra water?

Well this first batch is too late, they're already 20 minutes into the PC cycle and they have 1/3 millet in the jars with enough extra water so that the water line is a centimeter above the grain line.  Guess I will dump and start over.  I still have plenty of millet.

Yeah, the millet I soaked/rinsed looked quite dry but just now I tested it by chewing a bit and it just falls apart!

malabar

Jabwemet,
  If I intent to process a dozen or so jars I will trow the millet into a bowl, then cover it with water.  By the time I get an ice cold Corona,... I will begin to fill the jars by scooping the millet out with a strainer right into the jars.  The strainer will drain off enough moisture that it is ready to be PC'd.
  During the PC process there will be a small amount of moisture that encounters the Millet if it feels that it can absorb it.
  The casings earlier in this post were done in this manner, so I feel confident that you can achieve the same results.  Regardless how you choose to case, or not case.

jabwemet

malabar

Cool enough,....   -_-

psilocybin warrior

Im confused too so......I dunno, he never simmered his grains, so he does need standing water. I think its 100g's of grain & 70-80ml of water?

PW

malabar

PW,
     I am shocked to the point of disbelief that you wrote that! 
Where is the Real PW, and what have you done with him??!!!???    :angry:  lol 
  Now, Seriously,....  You know I prepare "heavy" grains, ( brn rice, rye, barley, oats ) just as you do,....  Yes 100g grain/70 ml H2O, (standing ).
    >>But in terms of millet, I prepare them almost identically to the process of preparing casing to be PC'd, just about to "field" capacity.  A brief soak, then strained, into jars, then PC'd.
  I am using Millet that is consumable raw, and have never seen and endospore issue,.....  Ever.
   ***I guess I can see how this could be confusing for those who use WBS.  That definitely has to be soaked since it happens to contain just about Any and Every possible foreign contaminant they might think a critter might just eat. 
  A bit easier to digest PW??

psilocybin warrior

No man, this thread has made me retarded. Im never opening it again lol

PW

cugak

Ej malabar, how do you prepare barley? Thanks!
share international

malabar

Cugak,
  Ready to explore are we??  Cool enough.     ^_^
Is your source a health food or feed supply? 
  If it's ready for consumption ( health food store ), prepare it the same as you would millet.
  If it's coming from a feed supply you will probably want to do that overnight soak, as you would WBS.
  Either way you go, being that it is a "light" grain, ( actually a grass ) you only want the Barley to be about the same consistency as casing soil when going to PC mode.   **  Just about field capacity with moisture.   I have learned that is is Always better to be too dry, ( since you can repeat the process it needed ) rather than being over-saturated.  Too wet, and the grain doesn't do anything but spoil, and you waste time, intentions, effort, and LC or spawn material.
  You will find that the mycelium will "RIP" though Barley almost as quickly as millet.   In a g2g, I have had pts 100% colonized in 4 - 6 days.
  I hope that gets you going.  And GL.
     ~Malabar    :mellow:

marjcleaners

They want meticulous window Window Cleaning done by professional window Window Cleaners. Learn more about Window Washing

erop3

cubes incubate best at 80-83...fruiting is best closer to 70-75...I have no probs winter or summer...winter the heat is on...summer the A/C....hth
:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

---------------------

Sac Longchamp Pliage Pas Cher