grain innoculation

Started by jabwemet, September 14, 2009, 05:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabwemet

Is there a tek somewhere on here for innoculating grain?  grain for simple minds doesn't say anything about innoculation, and I'm a bit lost on this whole idea.  I'm contemplating giving millet a shot but I don't understand... do you use syringes like with BRF cakes?  What's the method?  How much per quart jar, etc?
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

fattrout

jabwemet, this is what i do. i use this tek for jar lids. 
http://www.fungifun.org/English/Polyfil 
to start i use a syringe and shoot 1 to 1 1/2 cc... after that you can do G2G transfers..  :mellow: the ployfil you can get at any pet store..
fattrout

jabwemet

i see... but how can you PC sterilize that?  it won't keep the water out. 

as for innoculation, do just just do one squirt into the top of the grain then tumble it around to mix it in with the grain or do you need to get it on the sides of the jar as in BRF cakes?

jabwemet

i'm also not clear about g2g, is there a tek for that?

fattrout

you PC that just like a regular jar... put your already prepared grain in the jar. put the lid on the and PC like normal... after PC and cool down, i shoot 1 to 1 1/2 cc straight down into the jar.. in 3 to 7 days you should see growth at the bottum of the jar...
here i think you should check out this video. its 1 hour long but its wroth it..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3286686859329905674#
it has a part about G2G...
good luck
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

Wrap the lids with tinfoil to keep water out, just like pf-tek. Its better to do the sides, if your using quarts its best to innoc at the concave points to reach maximum surface area, pints it doesnt matter since they are round. And if you like you could always shake the jars afterwards. Grain-grain is very simple, transfer colonized grains to uncolonized grains in a steril enviornment w/ steril tools.

PW

jabwemet

holy shit, grain seems so much better than BRF cakes... I'm gonna have to buy more jars!

So shake after innoculation... and then there doesn't seem to be much concensus on shaking frequency during colonization.  the video ft posted said shake it pretty much all the time, never let it get cakey; some people say shake it once halfway and no more.  i guess experimentation will have to do... with g2g going on, it seems much more ok if a jar gets fucked up along the way, there's more where that came from.

I have some B+ going on BRF right now- it seems like I should be able to slip a sliver of that myc into a grain jar to keep it going... or not?  worth a shot?

dub504

As PW said "transfer colonized grains to uncolonized grains in a steril enviornment w/ steril tools." emphasis on sterility!
You might try looking into an LC tek. That's another great way to go.

darksyde

I wouldnt shake it all the time like the video says.. I use rye and or wheat berries and as long as you dont over simmer them (to the point they are splitting and mushy) and rinse them well before the pc to remove all the starch, you wont have a problem with them getting fused together so bad that you cant break em up.. I shake mine every 2 days or so depending on how well the myc seems to be colonizing

fattrout

i wait for the jars to get 3/4 colonized before i shake. then 4 to 5 days later and just before i case... -_-

thanks PW, i forgot about the tinfoil on the lids..
fattrout

jabwemet

the millet I'm planning on using is hulled, is that ok?  any reason to stay away from millet on this first go?

malabar

Jabwemet,
  I would think Any millet should be fine,..  If you are doing a g2g, you will know the results within 24 - 48 hours.   Mycelium rips through millet like a clown on Crack!   ^_^
  I have some g2g millet that colonized completely in 5 days, introduce to the FC after 2 days of incubating, and now have Massive fruits producing now as we speak. 
  I cased them in 1 qt sherbet containers, then removed them to rest on the lids.  There are literally 100's of little ones growing.  I will pop a photo later or tomorrow. 
  Millet is you friend!    -_-
   If you have not grown on grains before, the water retention is the only issue you may have issue with,...  But the growth can't be compared!
  GL.
     ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

jabwemet

water retention as in... too much or too little?  I'm planning on just soaking for an hour, rinse, PC.  no simmer.

room408

i dont think thats going to do it. you want to do a 24 hour soak to allow any enpospores that may be within the grain to germinate so that they will be killed during sterilization. i soak for 24 hours then do countless rinses and then bring the pot filled with grain to a boil, on the lowest heat possible to give it more time in the hot water and just keep an eye out for when the first few start to break then strain and load up.
remember the grain should be not be soaked when going into jars.

malabar

Jabwemet,
  When I spoke of water retention.  That is Exactly what I was meaning,...  To have a balance.  Not too wet, or too dry.
I soak briefly, ( about 30 minutes ) and drain off all excess.  This leaves the millet at a "field capacity", just like your casing mixture.
  I have Never encountered any issue of endospores, if i am using pure millet, bought as sprays, or at health food stores.  And I have used millet since the 80's.
  I think that endospore issue would be more prevalent involving, WBS, or roughly prepared mixes.  Sprays, health products, and those available for immediate consumption are as ready use as brown rice, barley, rye, or oats.
  But, follow what makes you comfortable.    ^_^

MT

I made six new quarts using G2G and WBS. I rinsed the grain several times to remove all of the sticks, sunflower seeds and floaties. I then let it soak for about two hours, brought it to a simmer on the stove for fifteen minutes and strained out the water. I then spread the seeds out on a surgical type towel (with no fuzz). After the grain cooled I loaded my jars and PC'd them. Every thing worked great. I now have six colonized jars. One to do more G2G and five to case. I won't be using the BRF method anymore. This works much easier.

malabar

Jabwemet,
  Here are some pics of those Millet casings I was telling you about last night.  They were started by g2g, ( brn rice-2-millet ).  These casings were made in 1 qt, and 1/2 qt sherbet containers, then dumped ( gently ) onto lids.  And, with 4 - 5 flushes using these containers, I haven't been buying too many aluminum trays these days!  ** Going Green, I guess **
  From the date of g2g to pinning,..  10 days.  And there are virtually no aborts.  These guys are fighting for Condo space here!   Millet, and Brn Rice are your friends.     -_-
  ~Malabar    :mellow:

cugak

What about white rice? Is it ok, or do i have to use brown rice?
share international

malabar

Cugak,
  Sorry my friend.  White rice just won't make the grade.  After all of the processing, ( mostly the bleaching ) the grain has lost a majority of its nutrients. 
  I don't know of Anyone having had positive results with white rice.

dub504

I just wanted to chime in on the hulled millet subject. I've used hulled millet and I don't like it as much regular millet. If you are going to use hulled millet, I would not simmer it at all. It tends to split open and turn into mush quickly. Malabar is dead on. There is no need to simmer millet.