Calcium Carbonate Question (vita sand?)

Started by squibbler00, September 23, 2009, 01:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibbler00

I found this stuff at the pet store- it's a calcium carbonate substrate for lizards that's fortified with vitamins and minerals.. i was curious if anyone has used it or knew if it would work as a substitute for CaCO3 in a casing mix?  The ingredients are listed below and here's a link for more info: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=643

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Carbonate, Iron Oxide, Beta Carotene, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Biotin, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL), Niacin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCL), Folic Acid, Dicalcium Phosphate.

cugak

Probably it would work, but you could just buy peat moss with high ph!
share international

malabar

Squibbler,
  I have seen the same product, and a friend told me he was using it in a MEA culture recipe he was using a LONG time ago.  And, his petri dishes were always abundant with growth, so it may be a viable substitute.
  I haven't personally used it, so the best I know is second hand witness.  If you find a Real benefit by your personal experience, I would love to hear about it. 
  I never use Calcium products in my beds, but I would be interested in the results anyway.
    ~Malabar    :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!