Easy Question on Straw...

Started by dub504, September 22, 2009, 05:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub504

This is an easy question, but I don't know the answer.
Should I case this tray now or let it colonize a bit more or fully?

malabar

All depends,......  What are you cooking??  And,.   How long has it been colonizing??
   :ph34r:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

coyoteyogi

Remember that casing is there to keep things nice and moist without being wet. By exposing the tray to light you are signaling to the myc to switch to fruiting mode. I would say go ahead and case it will continue to colonize until it doesn't. T :mellow:hey don't call them  magic for nothing.

dub504

I did two of these. This one is Brazil. The spawn is millet/br rice from a G2G. I pasteurized the straw. It's been room temp mid 70's (just following the teks) in the dark for four days. I did a layer of straw, layer of spawn (almost a quart), then another layer of straw. It's a pretty thick substrate. The other is Thai KSSS, I retired my last jar of that. It colonized more evenly and I cased that two days ago.

I'm working towards growing some pans. I got some Thai Suphanburi. Changing it up w/ some diff cubes too. GT,TC, and I had to see what all the love was about so I got some Malabar. I'm gonna keep Ban Hua Thanon, and B+ going.

A friend of mine has an organic garden and she gave me some worm castings I really want to try that w/ the straw.

My little cooler/incubator is full and I'm not running out in the freezer either :ph34r:

malabar

Dub,
  You can probably go ahead and case that tray.  Like the coyote says,....  It will continue to work beneath the casing layer, though that can also present an issue since you will be decreasing the AE, and increasing the bed heat.
  Chances are you will be fine though, so it's coin toss.   Give it another day or not.
  Not stepping on toes,...  Just my opinion.
    ~Malabar   :mellow:

dub504

Here is the way that straw went.

and an up close encounter w/ flying saucers...

malabar

Dub,
  It looks as though the grow went along just fine,....     -_-
Nice bodies, and great numbers!   :ph34r:
  Congrats on another successful grow, Bro,......    
  And just in time for the weekend!  Enjoy them.
  What time should I drop by?   :rolleyes:

Deadneck

shroomzer

Dang, looking pretty good indeed!!

fattrout

fattrout

dub504

Thanks, although I didn't do much work, sharing is caring. Wish I could share w/ ya'll.
I can hear the wind blowing through the trees around here lately. Maybe we need a contest or something!

malabar

Dub,
  You are right about things getting quiet.    But, it's a seasonal thing, along with  some social/political pressures,.......    :huh:
  But, a contest?   Not a bad idea!  I'm down with it,.......   Along what lines are you thinking?

Deadneck

Hmmm, interesting idea Dub. Try to kick things up around here. I feel like I've neglected my fellow shroomers lately. My cakes just came to the end of their life cycle and I'm ready to get another round ready. So, I'll be around more with pics and progress.

Davie K

yay contest's...maybe... who has the best lab.  or most continouse product... or most contamination.. no wait.. scratch that last one  :mellow: 

dub504

Maybe we could do a picture of the month thread. Then everybody vote etc...

malabar

Dub,
  That sounds like if could work for starters.   -_-    Then perhaps get back to spore prints or agar mix pkgs for prizes.
  Let's see how others weigh in on this.  And, perhaps we'll send off a PM to Anno, and get his opinion.

dub504

cool, I like those prizes. I would throw in a print.

darksyde

IMO it would be a cool idea.. While I have struggled mightily to attain the success that alot of you seasoned vets have, I've spent hours at this site and others, going through countless threads just to see pics of clever set-ups and monster fruits.. It gives hope to new-b's like me, and allows us to see the possibilities.. I cant be the only one that feels this way so please, be proud of your work and show off a little.. I for 1 would love to see it, and will gladly contribute when I have something worthwhile  :mellow:

dub504

Not only that, but some of the people that are new to this and have a successful grow or interesting pic could win a spore print or something else to help them learn something new and get some positive encouragement. Of course we'll have to have some rules. :angry: