casing pics... thoughts?

Started by jabwemet, October 08, 2009, 10:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabwemet

here's my first casing with B+ on crumbled PF cakes.  This was just a test run to see if I could do a casing since I'm trying grains now- in other words, I was expecting it to be a failure but I must be doing something right because... check it out!  I was a little surprised to see primordia popping out before I saw any mycelium, but it looks pretty good to me now and today the mycelium is popping up all over.  I took two pics because I can't figure out my wife's camera, which has a hundred different settings.  Let me know if there looks like something is wrong.

...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

darksyde

Look good to me other than maybe a little on the dry side.. Have you been misting?

malabar

Jabwemet,
  Are those the casings of Millet?  I think you did nicely.  I see some nice clusters starting there!      ^_^    Congrats!
  From what I have seen, you have to almost work at slaughter to kill the children, and they are really resilient, so those attempts may not even work!  lol

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

jabwemet

Malabar- these aren't the millet yet.  But the millet colonization is going wonderfully!  These are PF cakes.

I thought they looked a little dry as well, but I don't know what to do... I get the impression that you stop misting once the primordia pop out.  I don't have a "fine mist" sprayer, mine is a pretty "coarse" mist, and I don't want to damage the babies.  I assume that I can't just increase the RH in the chamber, that's supposed to be fixed, yes?

malabar

Jabwemet,
  Cool enough.,....  Regardless this grow is coming along nicely.
  As for the misting.  There are times you have to use your discretion.   And these could use a bit of moisture.  
  Invest in a $2.00 spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle.  Set it for fine, and just try try not to hose the fruits.  Afterward, fan, fan, fan to relieve the fruits and bed of any possible pooling.
  Your grow is pretty good size, and there needs to be enough moisture to support the existing fruits as well as keep the "micro climate" where it should be.
  Once you have achieved the proper moisture level, your FC should do most of the work if you have the correct RH.
  Malabar   :mellow:

jabwemet

ok... good deal.

now that the fruits are blowing up, the RH is dropping dramatically.  I'm having a little trouble managing it.  Up until now I've been able to keep it within 90-95 percent, but just about an hour ago it plummeted to about 80.  i got it back up then it dropped sharply again.  is this normal, do the fruits just suck it right out of the air, or is there something wrong with my FC?  Nothing about it has changed, there are no holes or anything that would let out that much humidity so quickly.

malabar

Jabwemet,
  That 90% -95% range is exactly where you would like to be right now.  Honestly, I don't remember what your method of RH is, but if you have the Tropic Aire,...  No, it's not normal.   If you are pearlite dependent,.....  Perhaps you  don't have enough depth, or the crystals have somehow lost their moisture?
  You have to have some sort of leak in the FC.  Thus allowing the humidity to escape.     If after you finally mist, you may see a difference in the stability of the RH.
  In any case, you need t get that under control.   Keep the environment stable, and consistant.
    ~Malabar   :mellow:

psilocybin warrior

Your casing material looks a little clumpy IMO, before you sterilize it should be moist not WET.

PW

jabwemet

Yeah, I think I was just a little lacking in perlite.  I just went and bought a new sprayer, took care of that... wasn't really sure how much I needed to spray so I kept it to a minimum.

Thanks for the tip, PW.  I was definitely a little overzealous with that first batch of casing I made. 

jabwemet

Better?

Sorry it's blurry, I'm not great with cameras.

malabar

Jabwemet,
  Looks like you will be a Happy Camper very soon,.....  Stay on the path!

jabwemet

Question- probably before this casing is all flushed out, it's gonna be time for me to put new trays in... and then more trays... and then more and more for a good long time.

How often should I change my Perlite?

dub504

You can reuse the Perlite, but you'll probably want to clean it from time to time, every couple of months or so. You can do that by washing it w/ soap and water. Bleach probably wouldn't hurt either or you can bake it in the oven. I can't remember the temp on that, 250 deg or something.

malabar

Jabwemet,
  When I am not growing like I'm storing for the 2nd coming,...  ( rarely ) I like to clean and swap out my pearlite and hydroton every 6 - 8 weeks. 
   I have multiple FCs, so it like having a pit crew just unplug the lines to air, and Tropic Aire, and plug in the new and clean unit.
  And, a Bleach soak after the soap/water wash can't hurt at all.  While you are there, clean the FC the same way, and spray/wipe with LYSOL.

jabwemet

^_^

It rained all night and the humidity in my house went way way up.  These are a bit soggy. 

malabar

Jabwemet,
  Very nice,....  You better be thanking Mother Nature !  lol

jabwemet

fattrout

hey jabwemet, you need to post that top pic in the contest.. -_-
fattrout

malabar

Jabwemet,
   I agree, for your the efforts, you should have posted that as your contest entry.    Nice job my friend!    :ph34r:
   ~Malabar    :mellow:

jabwemet