Question about my half colonized jars.

Started by Jrice, October 13, 2009, 05:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrice

Alight, i got a jar that is fruiting and another jar will be there in 2 days.  Though i have some jars were only one side of the injection took *i did the 2 hole method*. im pretty sure its because i shoulda waited an extra minute after heating the needle for sterility. Though i did wait some time to were i woulda thought it be cool enough.  Anyways these jars are only half colonized or a little under and seem to be slowing down in growth, they have all been incubating for 20 days now. my question will the myc grow throught the jar from this one side or will it come to a hault?  If it haults is ok to birth and remove the rest of the BRF and then put it in fruiting chamber? or would this just cause problems? i have no contams so i would hate to loose jars cuz of this. :huh:

darksyde

Jrice,
Were you heating your needle up after each hole, each time you pulled it out? I bought a dust mask from walmart and wear that when I innoc jars.. I spray the room well with lysol and wait 5 minutes or so to let it do its job and settle. If you're gonna flame your needle, use a cotton ball soaked with 91% alcohol to cool it off before you push any spore solution thru there.. And if you dont set your syringe down, or touch anything with the needle, the lysol in the air has it contam free enough that you dont need to heat it again.. I do it like this every time and havent had contams yet.. As far as the jars go, I wouldnt recommend opening them until they are fully colonized.. you are asking for trouble there

shroomzer

I'm with Darksyde on this, although I don't wear a mask and do all my work in front of a hepa filter. 

Jrice

thanks for the fast reply, yea i used lysol in the closet area and did all the work there. i only heated the needle after each jar not hole. the cotton swabs is a good idea ill prolly do that from now on. i guess id just rather be extra careful i dont want to waste anything if possable lol. so the myc will slowly colonize the jar then?  iv made markers on the jar to see if it progresses in the next 3 days.  the reason i ask all this is cuz one of the jars is starting to knot up on a side and its only half colonized, well starting to get fuzzy starts to it.

darksyde

Heating after each jar is overkill IMO.. As long as you lysol'd, and you havent been coming in and out of your workspace, your air should be clean enough.. When you use syringes to innoc, you are getting several types of spores hense the term (multi-spore innoc) Some myc will be fuzzy, and some will be rope-like or rhizo.. Let them continue to colonize and try not to check on them every 5 minutes.. I know its easier said than done cuz I still like to look too, but constant exposure to light isnt helping them out any.. Patience

Jrice

:ph34r: haha yea i only check every three days not no more then that. ill leave them till sunday and check on them.  And next time i innoc i give it a shot at not heating everytime, ty for the info and hopfully i can get some fruits at least form this -_-

darksyde

You might want to start another batch too.. Stagger your projects so you have different jars at different stages all the time.. That way you're not at a total loss and waiting from step 1 if something goes wrong.. If I can do it, you can do it no doubt.. Good luck!

jabwemet

If they still won't colonize, you could probably make a casing with your half-cakes and continue on.  I did that with a couple cakes in my last batch and the casing turned out nicely.  But waiting is the best. 

The first time I did PF cakes, they took FOREVER to colonize.  Like a month.  When I finally birthed them (thanks to some advice on here), they still weren't 100% but they were fit to BURST.  Pretty much the moment I got them into the FC, I had lots and lots of fruit!
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

jabwemet

I meant 2 months for that first batch.  Actually, 9 and a half weeks according to my records.
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

Jrice

Yea these have only been going about 20 - 24 days.  I do have 2 cakes from the same batch already in the FC.  The others are only behind cuz only one side of the innoc took so it has to go all the way through instead of meeting itself.  if they dont show any progress i will case them, otherwise i can wait.  :ph34r: