Newbie questions

Started by moodyeng, October 22, 2009, 06:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodyeng

Hi all - new to this and wondering if I could get some help with a couple of questions I have.

1. I have a UV light that is supposed to kill bacteria in the air. Is it okay to use this while innoculating or could it damage the spores somehow?

2. When fruiting, do I need to keep the fruiting tray in a dark place  AND does the temp. need to be controlled?

Thanks for all the help !

malabar

Moodyeng,
  Greetings "Earthling",.  and Welcome.   :rolleyes:
>> As for that UV light.  Nice accessory, and you can most certainly use it,..... as an ornament !  lol   Though it may reduce , a certain number of airborne contaminants.  There Will be No substitute for proper sterility and cleaning procedures.   Also, I am sure the UV light will pose no threat what so ever to your spores, LC, or cultures.
  >> When fruiting, you will need to provide a lighting cycle.  Typical is 12/12 hours on/off, to initiate pinning and adjustments accordingly after the pins appear.
  And, Temperature/RH are key factors throughout the grow, from inoculating through the fruiting cycle.
  At this juncture, I might suggest you, 1) read back through the numerous posts here and the Shroomery.org, 2) bone up by researching the several different TEKS that are explained in great detail starting at the Home page, and again at Shroomery.org.
   Though we all enjoy helping Newbies and veterans alike, you have to step up and seek out the basics before jumping into the pool.  Everything you are asking has been covered hundreds of times by us all.
  GL
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

J-B

ive ben growing some really nice mushrooms but there week is there something i could do to make them stronger or is it the strain

malabar

J-B,
  Good to hear you having successful grows, and welcome to the forum. 
When you say your shrooms are "weak", I am guessing you are referring to the active agents,..  the "Magic" is not what you were expecting or would like to experience??....  vs., the growth not performing to your expectations?
  In either case, there are a number of contributing factors that determine the growth behaviors, and strength of your fruits,......

1) The Strain
2) Growth Parameters ( Temperature/ RH / FAE )
3) The Substrate

In order for anyone to give you more concise feedback, I think we need to at least know the strain, and perhaps source,... ie, ( spores, LC, MS, culture ).  Too much info is much better than not enough,...
  GL
   ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!