philosopher stones

Started by Davie K, October 24, 2009, 08:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davie K

has anyone tried growing them?

malabar

DavieK,
  I have never heard of anyone trying to Grow Philosopher Stone.   Years ago, back when we were called "Hippies", we sought out a book called Mustus Liber , " Silent Book " .  I was written or penned back in the 1700s, of mostly a set of illustrations, which alchemist would follow to create either the "Alixer of Life" to achieve Immortality or turn raw metals into Gold.
   So, unless this is a "new" brand for weed or fungus.  I can't put together the concept of growing this "stone", which is no more than a moniker, for a mythical process.
   ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

drhusky

hey DavieK, if I remember my readings over the internet a while ago I think they grow on wood am I right ? well I think you can buy some grow kits ready to grow so I think it should be doable :) well anyways GL with that and keep us informed ;)

k12357

Philosophers stones are truffles.  they produce there fruit beneath the ground, in the sclerotia.  Ive eaten them before but never tried growing them.  I did find this web site 

http://www.mushplanet.com/cult_growtruffles.php

hope it helps.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

malabar

Very cool.  This goes to show,....  We all learn something new, Everyday!  I have never heard reference to truffles as "PS". 
  Thanks for info K12357!
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

Davie K

thanx guys...  seems fun..  ill give it a shot in a month or 2

fmrc

Taken from the book "THE  GOLDEN  DOORKNOB", by Stephen L. Peele, FMRC:
Taken from "THE  GOLDEN  DOORKNOB", By Stephen L. Peele (FMRC):
Some species of mushrooms have the ability to produce sclerotia.  Most mushrooms and other fungi do not have this ability.  Several of the psychoactive species of mushrooms produce sclerotia.  Psilocybe mexicana and Psilocybe tampanensis are two examples.  The sclerotia is actually an alternative expression of the mushroom to insure the continuation of the species.  This modification is also directly associated with the survival of the mushroom during environmental extremes.  High temperatures, desiccation, or nutrient deprivation, cause these types of mushrooms to form this resistant structure.  The sclerotia is formed by the cells branching profusely, and then develop into a thick outer layer to protect the inside against the extremes of the current environment.  The sclerotia contains stored nutrients, and can survive under unfavorable conditions for many years".  No sclerotia that I know of grows on wood.
The use of the word truffle for these sclerotia is an incorrect term.  They are not truffles.  They are sometimes refered to as "philosopher stones".  I believe this term was placed by Dr. Pollock, the one who collected the first ever specimen of Ps. tampanensis along with Gary Lincoff in early Sept. 1976, just outside Tampla, FL.  It was once only held by 5 people when I deposited it into the CBS Culture Bank in The Netherlands to ensure that it would not die out.  I was once told that even Paul Stamets lost his culture.  Today, people all over the world have access to it.
The book sells for $20.00 post paid ($30.00 Overseas Airmail)  slp/fmrc

fmrc

Because I saw there was interest in this subject, I post the Contents Page of "THE  GOLDEN  DOORKNOB", Copyright 2001.  For any more information email floridamycology@cs.com
"A note to new cultivators, Information about the author, Independent Mushroom Grower's Network, Sclerotia, Sclerotia Cultivation In General, Psilocybe Mexicana, Psilocybe Tampanensis, Psilocybe Tampanensis - Bringing Live Culture From Sclerotia, Psilocybin And Psilocin, Psilocybe Cyanescens, Converting A Refrigerator To Grow Cold Weather Loving Mushrooms, Gymnopilus Spectabilis - General and Chemistry, Gymnopilus Spectabilis Cultivation, Using Your Microwave to Sterilize Mushroom Growing Media, Psilocybe samuensis, Panaeolus subbalteatus, Psilocybe Cyanescens - Establishing Outside Fruiting Beds, The Chronology Of Psilocybe Cubensis In America, The History Of Psychoactive Mushrooms, Psilocybe cubensis, Panaeolus cyanescens, FMRC's Spore Bank, A Note On Mushroom Laws."