Question on ph tek brown rice cakes.

Started by iloveshannon, October 27, 2009, 11:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can you use white rice flower if you have no more organic brown rice.

white
0 (0%)
brown
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

iloveshannon

Hey guys first post and just innoculated my first "cups" (i say this because i used small glass cups with tin foil lol) yesterday.

Does anyone have any idea when i should start seeing the mycelia? And i used all of my organic brown rice can i use white rice if its needed. also, i seriously used like a little over half a cup of brown rice, very little to what ive seen. because i didnt want to mess up and waste the little amount i had left. will this small patty not produce many fruits?

k12357

are you using brown rice or brown rice flour?   if your folowing the PF tek you should be using brown rice flour.  ive never used just brown rice before.   malabar could probably tell you more on just using rice i believe he uses it.  as for white rice no dont use it. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

k12357

could take 2 weeks or so to see growth.  hard to tell the yield without more info, fruiting chamber, casing or not, how many cups you have, etc.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

malabar

Lover,
  I hear you speaking in terms of conserving resources, as reasoning for using small glass cups.  However, if you are knocking up less than 8oz, I really feel you are wasting time and resources.
  8ozs of substrate is only 1/2 pt, which will work, but provide such a small yield, I would only direct you to use a few of them to use for casings or spawn to a bulk grow.  And, even then you would like to consider using more than one per casing, and at least 4 - 6 for a small bulk container.
  K12357 told you right, as you won't likely see any signs for up to and perhaps more than 2 weeks. 

White Rice, is Not an option.   Any and all nutrients you would like to provide in the grow have been bleached, and processed out f the grain before point of sale.  This is another reason, white rice isn't even healthy to eat!
  Brown Rice is extremely cheap, plentiful, easy to get, and work with.  Get the right stuff, and do it right, and you won't have any regrets.   And as you were told earlier, if you are following the PF tek, you need to follow the guidelines that are tried and proven to work.
  You have a fabulous network of growers and information here novice and veteran that are more than willing to help you along, if you help them by helping yourself.
  I hope some of this is helpful.  GL
     ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

iloveshannon

ok thank you for clearing that up for me. is there anything you have to do during incubation? like misting? and yes im only using brown rice will that not work or make it spread slower or what?

cugak

During incubation u have to wait and relax. You must mix your brf with some vermiculate for substrate!
share international

malabar

Cugak,
  The Lovers confusion is becoming contagious.  I do believe he is just working with grains, but has been reading too many links and teks.
  So since he is just entering the the colonization stage, all he will need to do is prepare to case or not case when e heads the FC.
  Unless he lost me in the mix as well,.....     :huh:

shroomzer

If he is doing cakes and using the PF TEK for simple minds and has read any of the threads here, he shoulde be ok.  I mean I got a bit confused at first but with reading and asking the right questions with not too many different answers it will help alot.  I mean sometimes people have different ways and tweak the tek  once they have found their way.  Love, take your time and be patient and make sure you understand any answers that are given you so you get it right.  You may fail in your first attempts, I did, maybe others did too, but you pick it back up and get back in the game!  You'll do fine.  GL

malabar

Thanks Shroomzer, for clearing out the ground clutter I may have left.  You have such a wonderful way showing us all which direction the way out of the maze,.....
  My Heroine,......    :rolleyes:

shroomzer

Aww Malabar .. **blush** .. but it wasn't you, I read this thread with tired eyes and if I were a newbie I may have had some confusions.  With all my failed attempts in my beginning just re-reading things over and over helped me more.  Asking questions in the forum is always good, but in being a first timer, easier less complex answers are the best IMO.   

malabar

And once again, you are so correct! 
  Shroomzer,....  You're the Greatest! 
        :mellow:

iloveshannon

Can anyone tell me the difference from me using only organic brown rice? i boiled them in my boiler for a little over an hour on high. has this method been used by anyone?

malabar

Lover,
  Just because I am "old", and a little "Stuck on Stupid" at times, .....  Please clear this up for me,....     :huh:
  Are you "grinding" the brown rice, to make BRF ( brn. rice flour )?   Or have you been using the whole grains?
  I just wanted to clear that up, so we can give you the right info and direction to turn.
  As for the "organic" vs. "natural",....  Pricing mostly ,.....  But supposedly the manner in which it is gown, harvested, and prepared for market.  Organic will cost you more, so I buy the cheapest out there,...  from Walmart, BJs, Costco, Winn Dixie, Acme,....  As long as it's brn rice, it's mine!
  >>>>  Boiled your rice?  If they are whole grains, you need to be using a PC @ 15psi for a minimum of 45 minutes, to sterilize them. 

iloveshannon

so if i grind them up i can use a boiler? will a blender grind them? and also your saying regular brown rice thats not organic will work? because that would be great organic comes in such small bags. im on house arrest so i have to get my gf get it for me, and she made me have this stupid name lol..

and so basically if i used whole rice not grinded and it is organic and innoculated it, it will not work for sure or is there still a chance. im using the mazatapec strain because i thought it looked really nice out of all.

malabar

Lover,
  Now a little off the smoke begins to clear for me,......  You truly have been incorporating different teks to achieve the ultimate goal.
  Up to now, I am understanding you have been using, Whole Grains.   Proven teks and experience, have dictated a Pressure Cooker be used to sterilize the grains prior to inoculation.  If you are seeing healthy growth w/o contaminations,..... feel Blessed!   But, you aren't out of the woods yet.  There is plenty of time for all to go south.
  As long as you are using Brown Rice, organic or otherwise, you should be fine.  But, you do need to PC the grains!

>>  If you start grinding the grains, and start working with BRF, I will stand back and suggest you query Shroomzer more intensely.  She is the "PF Tek" Queen , and in combination with your research and her assistance you should be able to achieve a healthy and bountiful grow.

***Just a suggestion, away from the grow,......  If you are on "lockdown", I would be a little nicer about that name your girlfriend chose for you. 
  She seems to be doing a lot to help you out, and I don't think you would want to piss her off.  That may not go well for you, At All !   I think you just might violate your terms if the "powers that be" knew you were even thinking about the grow.

Can you spell Conspiracy?
not my business,...  just a suggestion.
   ~Malabar    :mellow:

cugak

share international

malabar

Come on Cugak,....
  Let's play nice!     :rolleyes:  The Lover is already dealing with a handicap>>  an ankle monitor and posted bail!    :huh:
  ~Malabar     :mellow:

cugak

Ej malabar tell me something! I was just picking my first flush from cased trays, and i had to patch whole surface! Now, would u cover them for a few days, or i put them directly back in the fc? Thanks!
share international

malabar

Cugak,
  Business as usual,......   Mist them well, and pop them back in the FC w/o covering.   I don't think I have ever heard of moving "back to incubation".
  They are in between flushes, so you don't want to promote vegetative growth, you want that micro climate to keep breathing into the next flush.
    ~Malabar    :mellow:

cugak

Ja ja, i thought that becouse i patch whole surface! Well, thanks and peace out man!
share international