Cake Casing Questions

Started by Crakes, November 01, 2009, 12:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crakes

Hello!  I've not posted here before, but I've been lurking about for about 2 years using this place as a wonderful reference guide.     -_-

However, I am trying something new on this grow and have just a few small questions to ask to gain some clarity.  Sincere apologies in advance if these have been asked before! I couldn't find anything this specific with the search function.

I've got some jars that are coming round to being ready to birth soon, and I recently noticed the cake casing method (the peat/verm/limestone flour in a tray one), and thought I might try it out.  This led me to a couple of questions though:

1. Is this method recommended?  Or would I be better off with the usual cakes-in-fruiting-chamber way?

2. Should the cakes be dunked/rolled before they are cased, or would this interfere with the process?

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.  If I end up doing the casing, I'm going to have a time working out the measurements required for 6 (math was never my strong point), but I suppose it depends on my container. 

Anyway, greetings and thank you!  Hope this isn't too foolish of a first post.

-Crakes

dub504

Welcome! Glad you reached out. You'll probably get slightly higher yields from casing your cakes. I'd say go that route. When I've done that method I dunked the cakes before casing them and had no problems. There is no reason to roll them if you are going to crumble and case them.

shroomzer

Pretty much with Dub .. I have only done two casings and I never used the limestone.  I read it wasn't necessary so I didn't bother trying to find it and use it.  peat/verm mix did ok for me.

Crakes

Ahh, I see.  I was a bit worried about the limestone, but I'll just omit that if it's not readily available. 

These responses bring up another question: Should I crumble the cakes or keep them whole?  I was going to just place all six whole in a container and fill in between them and on top.

malabar

Crakes,
  Just passing through briefly,...   IMO I always say "crumble".   With the even dispersal, you will definitely have a more even pin set.
    ~Malabar      :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

psilocybin warrior

Listin to Malabar, the force is strong with this one.

PW

shroomzer