Misting

Started by phxtaximan, November 02, 2009, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phxtaximan

Should I be misting my cakes?
I misted the 1st 24 hours.
Fruiting has started but my humidity is running about 88 -92%.
It it OK to mist when pins or buds are appearing on the cakes?

Thanks for all the help Guys.

PhxTaximan

malabar

Phxt,
  Happy you are seeing your first fruits.  I can't recall what you are doing for RH, but 92% is actually Excellent when the fruiting is occurring. 
  If you are humidifying passively, ( just pearlite, and manual misting ), you will want to keep that rh up. 
  So, misting the pearlite, rather than your grow is preferable.  If the grow is cased you can lightly mist the casings, BUT ,you will want to give Extra attention to FAE and fanning afterward to evaporate any moisture on the fruits, and watch out for pools, and/or puddling.
  Remember,.....  You will want just as much FAE, or more as moisture during fruiting.
  Post a couple of photos,...  I will be heading home soon and would like to check out the little ones on the plane.    ^_^
  GL
   ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dub504

Keep the humidity a little higher for cakes. They don't hold and create their own micro climate like casings. Over watering can abort the pins. Soaking is wetter than misting. Don't let that water pool up.

phxtaximan

I'm sorry , What is RH and FAE?
I still need to get a camera.

malabar

FAE = Fresh Air Excahange
RH = Relative Humidity

Yes,..  A camera would be nice.  Even a cellphone w/camera will probably work for you.
       :ph34r:

phxtaximan

OK  RH I have pealite in the bottom(about 5 " ). I  have small holes drilled in the container (about a 30 gal tub) and I put in a tall thin glass full of water with an air bubbler.

phxtaximan

Thx  man, gonna get a camers this weekend. now i need to figure out how to post pictures, HEE Hee

malabar

Pxht,
  You should be good on the RH end.  And to some degree the FAE, though I wouldn't be totally reliant on that bubbler.  Just keep an eye on things, and a little extra attention in the way of fanning may not hurt you.
  Though I know Shroomzer uses the Tropic Aire for RH, as many of us do, it would be to your advantage to network with her.    She is the undisputed "cake" and PF Tek pro, and a dedicated grower.
  As for the posting of your pics, just use the imageshack.com , or photobucket.com sites to upload.
   ~Malabar   :mellow:

shroomzer

Aww Malabar ...  ur a sweet one ty :mellow:

As for me .. I dunk 12 hours then roll in fine verm and mist lightly after the roll for the next two days off and on.  I do use the tropic aire and keep the RH at 99% constantly.  And I use photobucket to post pics when I have put up pics -  just put your pics into photobucket and copy the IMG code into your post and wha-la pics show up!!!  GL