Straw Basket Casing / Flushing

Started by jobes, November 14, 2009, 03:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobes

I'm a newbie. I pasteurized my straw and layered 5 quarts of colonized cracked corn in a small basket.  I placed a brownie pan (rectangular) on the top layer of straw and placed a bag of perlite on it for compression and placed in a large clear rubbermade tub that's ventilated with holes.  Its been one week and its very colonized.  Most info i gathered said it would be 14 days or so for it to fully colonize.  My questions are these:

When I am ready to fruit this what do I do? Ive only done Brfs.  It seems to be a success to date I just don't want to screw it up.  Some things I'm not clear on: How do you hydrate the basket to flush.  Does casing mixture factor in this tek if so how. Also how do I accomplish subsequent flushes.

dub504

Once it's fully colonized, I'd put a layer of casing on it, leave in the dark for 4 days and put in fruiting conditions. The straw should hold enough moisture to give you a great first flush. After that you mist the casing. You might even try pouring some distilled water down the side of the casing where it probably will have shrunk and pulled away from the side of the container.