My outdoor Azurescens plan

Started by tito123, November 20, 2009, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tito123

Hey this is my first post and plan on growing azures.  I'm not very experienced and would like to make sure its valid. heres the rough plan:

1. soak hardwood chips in water overnight, strain and add 1tsp of karo(baby food{(You want the clear one that has the red label; "Light with Vanilla". DO NOT get the dark Karo, such as the one containing brown sugar)})
2. microwave for 3minutes(do not use metal bands in the microwave and keep the cap loose)
3. once it has cooled, add spores, and let sit at room temp. Should be inoculated in a few days-few weeks. Use immediately or store in fridge
4. produce a substrate of wood chips(beech, oak, birch, chestnut, alder, maple, cottonwood, willow, aspen, poplar, elm, sweet gum, sycamore), cactus soil, and rye grass seed. (I will probably just use wood chips and an organic casing on top.)
5. mix together, moisten with water and sterilize by boiling in a pot of water with the water filled up 1 inch, with a rag on the bottom, let it cool overnight, and add liquid culture
6. (skip step 5 if you can buy wood chips already pasteurized)
7. wait until substrate is inoculated, place outside where it should fruit in the fall

Thanks, I'm sure I will have some faults :mellow:

coyoteyogi

I have had multiple failures with azurescens. I suggest you use your LC to innoc some quart or at most 1/2 gallon jars of wood chips. When those are fully colonized you can make up a tub of substrate and distribute the spawn at a ratio of 1:4. Once you have a fully colonized tub then take it outside.
  The advantage of this, is that if you get contams you stand to lose less material.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

tito123

Thanks. How long do you think it would take for the whole tub to inoculate? I was also wondering if I had to sterilize the wood chips.  Couldn't I just inoculate any type of hardwood chips, whether or not they were pasteurized, and just add the culture?  If I see any contamination, I could just add peroxide?

tito123

I've read that a few times and think that it would be so much easier to use a liquid culture, have it inoculated in a few days, and I don't need to buy as many supplies with this method.  I'd just like everyone who's more experienced to help out  -_-

Deadneck

Anno is the man, follow what he says likes it's the law (PW, Malabar and Fattrout too). He (they) will not steer you wrong.

coyoteyogi

As I said at the beginning of my post, I have had multiple failures with azurescens. Even following others instructions I have had jars of chips contaminate just as they finished colonizing. I have had spores that failed to germinate. I have had jars that stalled out and I have had mycobags that turned bright colors only days after innoculation (yes they went through the PC). So the advice to follow the tried and true does not guarantee positive results, it just increases the odds. Azurescens are tough to grow. I'm still trying.

tenaglia

Where do you get the woodchips from? I use beech chips from the pet-shop: soak,drain, inoculate with colonized woodchips, I do not pasteurize or sterilize anything, have never had any kind of contamination, my results can be seen in the thread about the "elixier" strain :ph34r:

I have used ~3 liter spawn upon ~70 liter soaked chips; mixed in the outdoor bed directly, this happened in april and I've had five nice flushes in october, I only waterd a few times during the summer.

coyoteyogi

Hey Tenaglia. Great to hear that someone is having good results with Elixier. I've got some in the fridge. What zone/state are you in?

tenaglia

Quote from: coyoteyogi on November 29, 2009, 03:28:48 AM
Hey Tenaglia. What zone/state are you in?
I'm from the netherlands, zone 7-10  :D

tito123

hey thanks for all the help.  i know this is gonna sound ridiculous but i decided to change up the plan:
1. buy sterilized rye berry bag, rub alcohol on the injectorsite and syringe
2. inject spore solution, shake up, and leave to sit for a few days
3.when it is fully colonized, open up bag and add woodchips(doesnt matter if they are sterilized or pasteurized)
4. wait for it to full colonize and add to more wood chips outside.
thanks for helping and being patient. and tell me if their are any flaws :mellow:
and how many cc's should i add to the rye?

tenaglia

The woodchips for animal bedding are somehow cleaned, maybe steam sterilized? Does anybody know?