My first batch :D

Started by lun0s, November 30, 2009, 02:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Alright well this could be my thread for information pertaining to my first batch now :) I got all my materials and even some questions :P The temperature where I wanted to put my jars for incubation is around 30 Celsius is that alright for incubation?
Pictures and Dates. My phone is crappy so pictures might be bad. Will try different picture resolutions later and see what works best.
December 07 2009:

December 15 2009:
Jar 1:

Jar 2:

fattrout

lun0s, 30 may be to high.. i think 26 to 28 celsius is about right... :ph34r:
fattrout

lun0s

Hmm maybe if I hope the cabinet door a bit to let outside air in, I will find the thermometer and see where else is a nice temperature for these then. Thanks for the word on the lid.
EDIT;
I found a 25c area in my apartment. Would that do? better yet... What would even happen if I put them at the 30 Celsius area?
edit 2;
I might';ve screwed up and use about 1cc for each 250ml jar, don't want to reopen them and chance contams unless its wisest to just put in the other 5cc I got. I have 5 jars right now in storage.

cugak

1cc is ok! Once i had my jars at i think 30 and mycelium died! 25 would be fine but 27 is the best!
share international

lun0s

Alright then once the managers leave my apartment I will move them to some where that is about 27 or a little higher but not 30C My room temperature I think is around 27 maybe... Thats not good for when I want to fruit(it needs a cooler temperature if I'm not mistake to grow nicely) how do I manage to make a cooler temperature for the fruiting chamber.
edit;
Well I found a place that is lower temp. than on top of the fridge. This spot it around 22-25C, though now I have no clue where I am going to put these when they are supposed to fruit cause thats the coldest place, besides in my fridge  ^_^, that I can find in my apartment that has optional indirect light for 12 hours... Any help guys I've only got roughly $30-$40 left for spending money this month so I would really like to have a inexpensive way to do this now.

dub504

27 C is fine for colonizing but you will need to bring the temps down a little for fruiting.
A low wattage energy efficient Daylight spectrum florescent light bulb should be inexpensive enough. The fungus doesn't need much light to force fruiting.

dub504

Also, I've grown this stuff in lower temps and not had a problem. They can do fine in less than optimal conditions. If it gets too hot that's where you'll have problems.

lun0s

If I was incubating at around 22-25 would I be able to fruit in there as well? The lighting isn't an issue for me I could just open the closet door.  The temperature is though cause i'm not so sure about how to lower it.

dub504

That would be the right range for fruiting. Colonization will be slower at those temps (especially PF Tek), which may or may not be a problem. My guess is you'll be fine. Try to keep it on the higher side of those numbers if you can. When I colonize straw I'm in that range without a problem. The mycelium does generate heat when it chows down on those yummy nutrients, more so w/ straw.

lun0s

hmm... i will try to slightly increase the temp then

lun0s

Its been a few days now and I still don't see any mycellium growth on any of the jars, they just looks like jars of dirt... :( No mold growth though so thats a positive.. How long should I usually wait until I know for sure I foobared on something and the jars aren't going to colonize?

k12357

could take 2 weeks on brf cake just to see first signs of growth.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

dub504

BRF so sloooow. Long live grains!

lun0s

What would be the fastest way to grow something then?

dub504

I'm just being an ass. :rolleyes: As I stated many times before knocking up whole grains is the way to go IMO. All you can do is read, read and read some more. Learn the basics and use it how you wish.

lun0s

ermm... So I'm guessing then using grains is faster from what your stance behind them is. Which grain would you say is best to use?

shroomzer

""I'm just being an ass. ""

Hahaha .. DUB ^_^

dub504

Somebody help me out here... There are so many different grains that you can use. Millet and Rye are great ones as far as speed. (Right? I've never used Rye, I just read that it's a great performing grain.) Wild Bird Seed has a lot of millet in it. You could use Oats, Barley, Popcorn, Brown Rice. You could mix in millet w/ other grains to speed up colonization. I've been using a Millet/Brown Rice mix (a lesson learned from malabar). I don't know if there really is a best grain per se and if there is I haven't used them all to know. I do know Millet speeds things along.

malabar

Dub is right to the facts that Millet will speed up colonization of Any   substrate, even popcorn if you choose to use it.
  In all of my time cultivating, I have used most most grains out there, and have chosen to stay with Brn. Rice, Oats and Barley blended with Millet due to the easy accessability.   Rye may have a few more nutrients, but there are time that it is overpriced or not easily available.
  But, any grain you choose, your grows will love you for it!
   Life is Good!
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

coyoteyogi

My 2 cents. Popcorn is a great way to go for the newbie (that would be me). It's cheap and easy to work with. I may mix my next batch with millet to see if yields change or if the overall time is less. I have had no luck with wheat berries and my attempts with WBS have been mixed. Popcorn is fast, especially with a liquid culture innoculation. It's all fun.