My first batch :D

Started by lun0s, November 30, 2009, 02:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Well mycellium has finally shown(or mold...) check my first post to see if it is mycellium or not. I got another jar that is doing better this one isn't doing as good compared to others.

fattrout

fattrout

lun0s

heh well there is a pretty good chance from what I am seeing on my best jar :( that it is contaminated.  But what ever 1/5 contamination seems like a good amount of successful attempts. I plan on doing casing next time so I could possibly get a much better yield.
EDIT:
Just checked again... Another jar looks contaminated... I'm not even gunna bother checking again for a few days. Hopefully something is successful...

dub504

lun0s

:( I got three jars our of 5 contaminated... Thats a real punch to my confidence with growing...

malabar

Well,.....  Sounds like it's time to pull out the old bleach, and Lysol. 
Isolate and dispose of those contaminated growths,...  ( outside ) and bleach soak those jars before washing them.
  I would also suggest using that bleach and Lysol in your inoculation and incubation areas to neutralize and eliminate the source of your problems.
  GL.
   ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

lun0s

Thanks for the suggestion I got a 1 part bleach and 10 part water solution in a jar, and lysol disinfecting wipes. I also wiped the entire jars with rubbing alchohol on a cotton ball before I even put the substrate mix in...

dub504

coyoteyogi

I've found that using the lids with polyfill is far superior a method than the 1/2" of dry vermiculite barrier. You drill  a couple of 3/8" holes in the lid, fill the holes with polyfil and you are good to go. I even spray (lightly) the polyfill with Oust as one more layer of protection. don't let the contams get you down. clean up and begin some more jars.
good luck

lun0s

Would cotton balls work just as good as the polyfil layer? Cause I wanted to do that with my lids since I couldn't find the polyfill filters locally(didn't look that hard though). Can you reuse a polyfill filter or do you need to use a new one every batch?

dub504

Obviously, you didn't look at all. http://www.fungifun.org/English/Polyfil you can't use cotton balls, it's not the same and it won't work!

lun0s

Actually I have looked at that, a few times they LOOK the same! Whats the difference between the two? What type of store might sell a polyfill filter/floss?

malabar

lun0s,
   Any hobby store, perhaps even a fabric, maybe even walmart may supply poly-fil.  Read, and read again.  Seriously,.......  Then get creative.
  Regardless of similarities in appearance,..........  Anything used in this hobby is described and detailed.  And if you use the search function at the top right of this page, you will find more than you will ever need, since these topics have been asked and covered Many times before.
  ~Malabar     :mellow:

lun0s

I usually do search a few terms and check the first couple of results if there are any. :P But I will probably read a bunch. Just out of curiousity what would be a safe number of dried mushrooms might I be able to get out of two cakes(Hopefully they don't contaminate as well)

dub504

Polyfil is synthetic. Used as fill for pillows, crafts... and it says this in the tek. Walmart has bags of it for cheap. Don't reuse it. A bag will last you a while. I don't understand how you can even make a statement like "They look the same." they have dif qualities, they aren't the same. There are no shortcuts to doing this the right way! You have to take steps to avoid contaminants, hope isn't going to do it for you.
How many shrooms are we supposed to guess you'll get from your cakes? Who Knows. Can you follow the Teks?

malabar

Dub,
  Thx for dropping in,.  I was beginning to feel a bit retarded trying to explain the obvious,..     :angry:
  GL.  This is a "hard" nut to crack my friend,..  LOL
    ~Malabar    :mellow:

dub504

Since post #1. We still try! :mellow:

coyoteyogi

A well tended 1/2 pint cake will yield around 6-10 grams dried. That's why people move on to grains. But hey, 6-10 is enough to get well off the ground (unless you're a Malabar).
best of luck

malabar

Thx Coyote,.... 
  But you are right!  I think that would just about wet my appetite, or piss me off!  LOL
  ~Malabar   :mellow:

shroomzer

Quote from: coyoteyogi on December 11, 2009, 01:24:59 AM
A well tended 1/2 pint cake will yield around 6-10 grams dried. That's why people move on to grains. But hey, 6-10 is enough to get well off the ground (unless you're a Malabar).
best of luck

HeeHee .. yeah true!