Oven drying, hollow stems, dry weight, pinset relations to yield, questions.

Started by iloveshannon, December 02, 2009, 07:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iloveshannon

Hi, you may rememeber me from around a month ago, when i asked a question on pf tek jars. well i knocked up 10 jars, and 8 of them made it because 2 only colonized from one of the 2 innoc points. so when they half way colonized i just crumble and cased at 50%.  so now i have 3 calkes pinning, 2 casings pinning one casing already harvested 1st flush, and cakes that are crumbled and incubating until casing layer is colonized enough. (all casing crumbled cakes.

I got 50gs wet from one cake that i cased, is that a average yield? it turned out to 6.1 gs dried.

If you can answer the following questions i have that would be great, thank you.

I have hollow stems and theyre mazatapec strain, i thought these were a meaty strain but maybe its my substrate?

And also if you get a small pinset do you get bigger shrooms, and vise versa? does the pinset affect the yiled greatly?

And my last question, if i kepts the oven on 170 degrees, and kept it a little bit more than cracked open, with a fan on low blowing in from a medium distance (2 or 3 feet) will that affect potency?

dub504

That is too hot for drying. The Psilocybin and Psilocin will break down at those temps. Stay under 100.
As far as the other questions, I don't know... Just eat em'!

shroomzer

dub504

That's what I do too.

Helo

A cool way that ive seen food dehydrated was on Alton Brown's show Good Eats. He used Furnace Filters and a fan to make beef jerky and dry herbs. If it can make beef jerky, im sure it would work for dehydrating some shrooms. It seems alot safer than the oven. The oven could kill your babies and ruin all your hard work. Not worth it to me. The Furnace Filters can be exchanged for some paper towels as well.  ^_^

You can check out the vids on YouTube. The episodes are called "Herbal Preservation" and "Urban Preservation". Hope this helps.
Sine Qua Non - Without which there is nothing

coyoteyogi

Don't worry about the hollow stems. As you get more skilled you can take the best fruit and clone it for future projects. I'm surprised that you didn't get more contamination from crumbling your partially colonized cakes. Congratulations on your sterile technique. the best way to increase yields is to grow more and more often. :mellow: