new fruits looks a bit small?

Started by bigfatmouthj, December 06, 2009, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfatmouthj

so my new fruits looks a bit small, the veils seem to be breaking a bit too early. what could help yeild bigger fruits for future grows?

[

psilocybin warrior

lol. What strain is that? what are you're current variable values? If you want answers gotta post info fatty.

PW

bigfatmouthj

they are liberty caps, BRF/Verm cakes, temps are steady at 73f and RH 98%.
maybe the source of the spores were shotty?

psilocybin warrior

Those in the pic look like cubes, dont look like libs to me, why on earth would you grow libs on BRF? If they are libs and you want bigger yeilds, use poo/straw, or make outdoor beds!!!!!

PW

moorhS

ya those are definitely not liberty caps........

malabar

Those look like B+ to me,........
       :ph34r:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

bigfatmouthj

Ah yes they are B+...have my jar info mixed up with roomies. ^_^
i have too many irons in the fire. yes im not marking the jars instead of
keeping a paper log of whats what. any advice on better fruiting? never used grains but would like to give it a try.

psilocybin warrior

Good eye Malabar, cake looks a bit dry, give it a good ol dunk n roll. Want better flushes? give casings a try.

PW

malabar

Big,
    Get a few grows down and step up to casing.  Your numbers will increase 6x.
  Also, grains are so much easier, provide more nutrients, have more repeated flushes and IMO larger fruits as well.  But, you have to judge when you feel you are ready to move on to a new adventure.
  But, for your 1st time out, you didn't do so bad.  It's still early.  You may be surprised at the results.
  Congrats and GL.
     ~Malabar    :mellow:

malabar

Thx PW,......  Like you buddy, some of us have been on this old horse long enough to spot them a mile away!  lol    ^_^
    :ph34r:

bigfatmouthj

So dunk and roll between flushes it is. i noticed the cakes did look a bit dry, RH is 98% and using the tropic air system. but they look like they need a little bit more TLC. any suggestions on my 1st grains when i switch? im leaning towards the popcorn/millet.

dub504

bigfatmouthj

I also wanted to ask the pro's about the different grain options. ive seen most of you talk about popcorn/rye/millet. what are your thoughts on quinoa or wheatgerm? i am an avid health nut and have been going over a few grain options as far as nutrients and there are many! im also looking at them from a human nutrient intake perspective, which is why i ask about the substrate options for growing.
any ideas?

malabar

Big,
  I typically work with Brn Rice, Oats, Rye, or a combination of any of those w/Millet.  Quinoa, Wheatgerm, like Barley or Millet are light grains that I would or might only consider as an "additive", to either speed up colonization or "enhance" the nutrient base.
  I do at times colonize Millet alone, but primarily for the purpose of g2g transfers.
  Thus, I would suggest the "heavier" grains listed above.
I hope this helps you in your decision.

shroomzer

LOL BIG .. I'd be keeping better notes if you have more than one person growing in one house!  But that's just me, I wouldn't wanna eat something strange =/ ...

bigfatmouthj

a few of the cakes are still not showing pins yet, i gave them a good rinse and roll in the verm. how long until i can label them "duds" and move them to the compost?

malabar

Big,
  Now is the time to roll out that pkg of "patience" .  I would advise you to let them run for a couple of weeks, since cakes seem to perform on their on little schedule.    :rolleyes:
  If they show full colonization, as an option you can always consider this the opportunity to "crumble and case".   Something that will greatly step your game up as well!
  ~Malabar     :mellow:

bigfatmouthj

Hmm..i think i might try the "crumble and case" Malabar.
I have 10-15 extra cakes to experiment with. must go read up
on this idea you have suggested. thanks again Malabar  -_-

malabar

Big,
  No problema.   I hope your grows continue to progress,.....   
I am impressed with your proactive approach of staging.  Having various "stages of growth is important, to maintain a constant grow, rather than waiting or trying to "catch up.
   Leaving "gaps" in the stages of growing have been disappointing to some, when they could have had fruits but didn't since they had to wait,....
  GL.

shroomzer

Indeed Malabar!  Although my production is not consistant, I have a nice 'supply' so I know when to get 'em growin' again ;)  Thanks to all my friends who prefer 'herb's' to shrooms, I don't have to grow excessive amounts to share (not that I wouldn't)!!