new fruits looks a bit small?

Started by bigfatmouthj, December 06, 2009, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfatmouthj

so does it take the crubled cakes more time to re-organize after they are crumbled? what do you suggest as a bedding/cover? i just got a kick ass dehydrator for $20! life is sweet! speaking of...wondering about mixing up a flavored spray to mist them with before dehydrating them and maybe cutting back on the ick taste? just a thought though. ^_^

malabar

Big,
  Provided the cakes, or substrate is colonized and healthy, when you case after crumbling, it should only be a matter of 3 - 5 days ( a brief incubation period, covered in the dark ), before seeing the initial signs.  Once the mycelium is visible to the surface of the casing, it's a nice "deep" mist and off to the FC.
  Pins will generally appear in approximately 8 - 10 days, if conditions are correct and stable.
  As a casing material, I consistently use a 50/50 blend of Sphagnum peat moss / vermiculite.
  Congrats on the dehydrator!  Sweet deal,......     -_-
As for that flavoring spray........   I would be likely to vote against it.  Or at least wait until you are ready to consume them.  I'm not sure what it may do to the dehydrator, or the effect on drying may be.
  I always kind of enjoyed the flavor myself,.....    :rolleyes:
   GL.
     ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dub504

Just make sure the dehydrator doesn't get above 100 otherwise that grow will be worthless. Also if you hate the taste you could make a tea, chocolates, or honey. Here's some recipes http://forums.mycotopia.net/feasts-food-drink-tea-mushroom-dosing-magic-extracts/

bigfatmouthj

So Malabar...the popcorn/millet mix, what are the steps? i thought i saw that you had a posting on here but couldnt find it. i think my next go will be over the weekend and i want to get stocked up with what i will need.  it will be my 1st try at the non-cake method.  -_-

dub504

I don't think malabar really uses popcorn that often. Maybe just try popcorn or millet alone first.
You could go 50/50. Steps for popcorn are here http://www.shroomery.org/9035/Popcorn-Tek-w-pics You'll want to prepare the millet separately. Depending on where you get your millet. It will have the hull or will be hulled. I prefer w/ the hull. I soak it overnight, drain, into jars and pressure cook...

bigfatmouthj

Ah thank you Dub. My pal uses a simple simmer pot for 2 hrs on his
jars and says its does the job. what do you think? also, will using plain popcorn alone have enough nutrients? as far as when casing? or is this why it is a good idea to use the light grains as an additive?

MT

If you are going to use grain you have to pressure cook it. The simmer pot only works with BRF cakes. As for grain mixtures, I have been using WBS with outstanding results so far.

moorhS

k wish I would of had this glossary along time ago. . . .
                      Shroom Slang :)
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary

dub504

Yep, gotta pressure cook all grains. Popcorn is fine on it's own.

bigfatmouthj

Dub..if i do not have a PC to clean the casing material for the top of the cake crumbles is there any way that the boiling pot method will work properly? or maybe bake it? also if i wanted to use a jar or 2 that are 80% colonized will they be ok or should i let them fully colonize?

malabar

Big,
  You need the PC to prepare your grains.  Many prepare their casing in the microwave. 
  I think microwaving on high for up to 12 minutes has been the process,...  I am sure you want to achieve at lease 180 degrees for at least 8 - 10 minutes for a pasteurization of your casing.
  Dub is probably well versed in this area,.  I PC everything myself,.....

dub504

Fully colonize your substrate, always! Casing doesn't have to be sterile, in fact it's better if it's pasteurized. You can prepare casing in your microwave... http://www.shroomery.org/5105/Casing

Malabar, were on the same wavelength. Typing simultaneously.

bigfatmouthj

so a few of my cakes in the FC have white fuzz mold and smell a bit like vinager. can they be saved or are they wrecked?

malabar

Big,
  Sorry to hear this latest report.  I have always followed the rule that your grow shouldn't smell like anything other than grains or fresh shrooms, ( since you are vegan you know the smell ). 
  I would seriously be thinking of isolation procedures, if you are unsure of where they are heading.  "Bad news travels Fast!"   And contams communicate.
  Not knowing the region that you live, I don't know if it feasible for you to go ahead and "recycle" them outdoors to a compost bed or loamy soil.  Somewhere nature can look over them and perhaps provide healing to show fruits.
   ~Malabar     :mellow:

shroomzer

I don't trust any smell other than the fresh shroom smell.  I have never proceeded with anything that I am not sure of.   I would toss them, but thats me.  Maybe do what Malabar says and 'isolate' them.

fattrout

hey there big, yeah you better toss that jar. i follow that old rule if it smells bad don't eat it!!! sorry  -_-
fattrout

bigfatmouthj

So ive just cased the 8 cakes, after closer inspection i found out it was the water under the lava rock that was smelling a bit. the tray weighed almost 4lbs and the cakes are now sleeping in a toasty 80F dark spot. after crumbling the cakes in the bag i was hit with a wonderful fresh mushi smell! very excited to see the results after about a week. -_-

malabar

Big,
   Sounds like you are on your way!  Good show so far.  However, I would suggest removing that standing water under the lava rocks.  The rocks are much like hydroton, and will absorb their limit of water, then release the moisture to the atmosphere of the FC in the form of humidity.
  And if you can smell the water, that is also an indicator that the water is stagnating and possibly developing bacteria that you don't want to introduce to your little community.
  Also, if you can bring your temperatures down just a bit, ( the mid 70s F ) you'll have a greater control over the risk of contamination as well as promoting your fruiting.

fattrout

hey big, on that smelly water. add 3 or 4 OZs of hydrogen peroxide to the water, that should fix it.. all in all sounds like you will be enjoying the fruits of your labor soon.... :mellow:
fattrout

bigfatmouthj

the fruits were good. mild but satisfying. as a precaution and for good measure, i think i will be sanitizing my FC between flushes as ive noticed small dark spores on the glass where the tropic air hose is expelling the humidity. just put the cakes in a cool bath for a few hrs and on to the 2nd flush. i can notice a difference in the shrinking of the cakes from the sprouts extracting the nutients. very interesting :mellow: