Edward St. Vincent Millet

Started by coyoteyogi, December 07, 2009, 12:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyoteyogi

So, I've been reading good things about how fast millet colonizes and I thought I would add some to my next set of jars. I mostly do cakes and jars of popcorn. I thought by adding 1 cup of millet to 2 cups of popcorn I'd get a good comparison. What has worked for me with popcorn is to measure out what I'll use, cover it with 3" of water and PC it for 25 minutes. When I did that with the millet added, the millet all burst open and turned into sticky starch goo. I had to throw it all out. So my guess is, you just soak the millet for 12-24 hours to hatch any endospores but don't actually cook it. Is that right? do people use millet/popcorn combos?
  Note: went to store, bought more popcorn, innocced 6 jars. Life is good.

cugak

share international

malabar

Coyoteyogi,
  I have been using Millet for years w/o failure.  I use it alone or mixed w/grains as an accelerant.  Typically, I will load it in jars w/grains, add enough water to pc and have at it.
  If it is Millet prepared for consumption, it has been presoaked and washed just like bagged rice, so it really won't withstand too much more time in a soak.  So unless it is mixed with WBS, I wouldn't worry about a lengthy soak.
  If you are mixing it w/popcorn, ( which by the way colonizes pretty quick, at least from g2g ), I would soak or "rinse" it briefly for about five minutes, and load them with the popcorn just before you pc.
   ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

coyoteyogi

Thanks Malabar. It's great to hear from the experienced on this. I've been having success with LC'ing popcorn alone. I thought I'd try the millet added in "just for fun".

fattrout

coyote, i just in the passed month started to use millet in my popcorn and it is incredible!!  yeah, malabar knows his shit (millet).lol  ^_^
this is what i'm doing, soak the popcorn over nite (24 hour). then i simmer it for 1 hour. now this is where i put my little twist in. i drain the water from the popcorn and use it to soak the millet for about 1 hour. drain off the water and mix the popcorn and millet 50/50.... :mellow:  it is just kickin ass... :ph34r:
fattrout

malabar

Nice touch there Fattrout!      Now that's what I be talking about ,.......  Getting creative and tweaking the "little" things to work for you.
  But, of course, with an "olde" vet like you,....  I wouldn't expect anything less! 
  Work that Magic , my friend,......     -_-
     ~Malabar   :mellow: 

coyoteyogi

:mellow:we are having our first major snow storm of the season so I won't be going out tonight to buy millet. I do have six jars of pure popcorn just getting started and three jars that are almost done but I don't have room in the fruiting chamber for another tray or two so I put them in a dark drawer that is unheated. Hoping that they will go dormant. What do you folks do to extend the time of growth?

malabar

Coyoteyogi,
  Sorry to hear you are socked in,......  You gotta start stocking up my friend! 
More to the issue.  I might suggest you place jars you want to sleep, in a double ziplock bag, within a paper bag and into the fridge.
  All of the bagging is because of the rampant bacteria and germs running around in there.  You should be good for up to about 2 weeks, ( just enough time to blow that snow! ).  Just remember to spray a cloth and wipe those jars down before placing them into the FC.
  ~Malabar    :mellow: