Material/ingredient problems...

Started by lun0s, December 09, 2009, 06:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Well I got a 5L bag of vermiculite and I don't really enjoy doing the cakes because the small yield, and time it takes. I also have 10L of perlite unopened that I intended to use. I found some wild bird seed in my grocery store. It's 15KG and the ingredients were as followed... "A quality blend of fine cut corn, wheat, milo, red millet, white millet,  and black oil sunflower seeds." Would I be able to use this for casing? and if so is there a chance I could actually still use my vermiculite and perlite for some cultivating? I don't want to have 3 bags of nutritious dirt sitting in my coat closet.

k12357

you don't want to case with WBS.  you colonize the WBS, its your substrate.  you could use the vermiculite mixed with peat moss as a casing on your WBS.  the perlite is for humidification. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

lun0s

Could I use brown rice flour and vermiculite to make a substrate for casing?

malabar

Lun0s,
  I'm thinking you haven't been doing your "homework", or research.    Or perhaps you are confusing yourself.
  Think of substrate as a growing media, and casing as your non-nutrient, eco system.
  No,.....  You shouldn't be using BRF in your casing mix.  Try a blend of 50/50 Sphagnum peat / vermiculite or  65/35 vermiculite / potting soil.
  But, Before you blow your whole show,.......  I'm suggesting you crack the books a bit, or at least use the search function on this or the shroomery site.
  ~Malabar    :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

lun0s

heh I got the terms wrong I know... I think if I am wording this right now, could I use brown rice flour cake with a casing? If you know what I mean don't just mock my poor terminology actually give me an answer :P

malabar

lun0s,
  I'm not so concerned that you may have the terminology incorrect ,........  I'm kind of convinced you are missing the Basics .
  I think if you read my last post, you will see the answer,....  "NO BRF in CASING" , and I also provided basic formula suggestions,...
  Life is Good!    ^_^    And, growing is easy,....  just research a bit more.

dub504

lun0s

Alright I understand not to use some stuff for casing, I just would really prefer not to waste any of the vermiculite and perlite, since I am a tad tight on cash after buying my basic supplies/containers for this...

dub504

Perlite can't be used in substrate or casing. It's really only in your FC "Fruiting Chamber". You can use the verm in your casing or a bulk substrate.

lun0s

Hmm I really need to read up on casing because I'm so confused. Haven't read much atm but substrate is what you colonize the spores/mycellium in, the casing you would cover it with a nutrious layer until it starts pinng(?) and FC is where you put it to fully grow?

malabar

lun0s,
      I think I brought that idea up a little bit ago???   :huh:  I'm getting worn out here,......
  Reading is a good thing,....  and it's fundamental .
Let's try another approach,.....
         --elemental breakdown--
  1 ) inoculate your substrate w/spores
  2 ) colonize the inoculated substrate
  3 ) case and incubate the colonized substrate
  4 ) Finally, place in the FC and allow the cased substrate to pin ( fruit )
  5 ) Thank the Powers that be, and your friends for their patience, and please eat the shrooms,.....  or send them to Us. 

We'll Gladly show you how that is done,....     :rolleyes:

lun0s

haha that is a nice easy break down, so if I can make a substrate colonized I could indeed use it w/ casing?

dub504

Yes! You could indeed, case the substrate...

MT

lunOs, you make this sound like it's really hard to comprehend. But this is really easy, you just need to do a lot of reading and then ask questions once you at least understand a little of the terminology. Good luck in your endeavors.

lun0s

I know I know, I just have been a bit busy with school work, or some leisure activites to relax... So it is a bit more easy for me to ask here than to read up some where else. I will be doing some reading tomorrow provided I have time.

dub504

If we could grow them for you, I'd be eating your share, because they would be mine.

malabar

MT

fattrout

malabar, i like that break down. i think i will put that up on my wall...lol :ph34r:
fattrout

malabar

Fattrout,
  I'm happy you liked it that much!    -_- 
I tried to KISS enough.  That is just how I explained it to one of my grandkids, ( age 6 ).
  And given the chance and opportunity, she would probably turn out some real "Bumper Crops" with all that she has observed when she stays with us over the summer.     ^_^
  This ain't Rocket Science ,......  You would think the adults would be able to pick up the ball and run with it!    LOL