Incubation Question

Started by ixitwistedixi, July 24, 2005, 07:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixitwistedixi

If you kept jars in a sealed off shoe box with a grow light on the box to keep up temps, do you think this would work? - If not then does anyone know of a way to build something with $0?

anno

Some people have reported storing jars on the fridge where the warm air comes up, also on computer monitors(leave some air circulation though, otherwise you could overheat the jars AND the monitor.....

psilly

QuoteIf you kept jars in a sealed off shoe box with a grow light on the box to keep up temps, do you think this would work? - If not then does anyone know of a way to build something with $0?
[snapback]710[/snapback]

I wouldn't use cardboard-- too dusty and fibrous.  I like plastics, because they can be cleaned and sterilized.  It's also easier to maintain humidity in a sealed environment (like a plastic sweater box), as long as you introduce fresh oxygen to the sealed container every now and then.

If you've got a good thermometer, you might want to place it in your proposed incubation site for a few days first to monitor its ambient temps.  In the pets section at Wal-Mart you should be able to find cheap thermometers-- check the fish and reptile supplies.  Garden thermometers are also ok, but the cheap ones aren't very accurate.

If your temps are too low, there are some pretty easy ways to bring them up to optimal grow conditions, and without spending a fortune.  With a couple of matching plastic containers and a little water, you ought be able to create a "dutch oven" effect to distribute warmth evenly.  Then almost any moderate heat source will work!  I use an aquarium heater with adjustable thermostat, which set me back about $35.00, but my ex had decent luck with an ordinary heating pad set on "low."  Pet stores also sell under-tank heaters for aquariums and terrariums-- don't know if these are also obtainable at Wal-Mart.

Don't be surprised if temps rise slightly after you've introduced live spores-- the jars themselves throw off a little warmth sometimes.  If you're short on funds, this is something that you can use to your advantage-- keep a clean blanket, or a couple of clean towels, around the jars for insulation!

Keep in mind we're just discussing technique here.  The spores will pretty much work things out for themselves if you give them the right conditions and cleanliness.    :)