thinking about casing...

Started by ImAFungi, December 12, 2009, 12:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImAFungi

My first 2 sets of jars are just starting to get to that 60% mark. I was thinking about casing because it doesn't seem super difficult or anything and I've heard that you get many more little friends out of it ^_^. I was wondering if anyone had any really good recipes for casing or any good links for casing.

Thanks,
                      ImAFungi :ph34r:
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

cugak

Sterilize your casing mix good, if you have a pressure cooker, cooked it for good half an hour and clean your trays with alcohol!
share international

dub504

or pasteurize... The microwave works as well.

ImAFungi

Thanks a lot dub. that site was very helpful. I've read a couple of posts saying that the limestone isn't necessary. What do you think? Also are the oyster shells necessary? :huh:

I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but it's on my to do list. I might just use the microwave on this batch. I will def. post pictures once I case them.

Once again thanks guys.
         -ImAFungi

tenaglia

You can also case straight coco coir, dries a bit faster so you probably have to mist the casing,

dub504

I use the 50/50+ tek for casing, but you def don't have to use lime and chushed oyster shells.

ImAFungi

Well then it's settled, I'm using the 50/50 tek. Maybe use alittle of one of them. Thanks again dub.
         -ImAFungi

shroomzer

Dubs on it~!  No need for the limestone.  Microwaving is perfect.

ImAFungi

Cool thanks shroomzer. I know know you're suppose to microwave it on high, but for how long? :huh:

Thanks,
                      ImAFungi

shroomzer

Start with 5 minutes then stir it up and check the temp. with a meat thermometer.  You want the temp. to be more than 205 degrees throughout the mixture.  You may have to do it a couple  times to get the correct temp. through your entire mixture. And then let it stand in a clean sterile place to cool enough to use it.

ImAFungi

Thanks once again shroomzer. should'nt be more than a couple more days before i case my little buddies  ^_^

-ImAFungi

MT

I heat mine in the microwave on high for 12 minutes then remove it from the oven and cover with a plate and let it cool down to room temp.

coyoteyogi

You want the coir to be at carrying capacity with water. This will help it hold the heat in the microwave.

MT

Yeah, I failed to mention that I add water to the mix to bring it to field capacity before I microwave.

ImAFungi

how much water do you add MT? :huh:

thanks,
            ImAFungi

dub504

Field capacity = just wet enough so when you squeeze the casing material a few drops come out.

MT

ImAFungi

Cool, I will. Thanks dub, I will def do that. Also, i was thinking about buying Tropic-Aire Humidifier. Has anyone had any experience with this system?

Here is a link for a picture of the exact model:
http://www.backyardstyle.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-18202

Thanks,
                ImAFungi

shroomzer

Yep, works well.  A few people I have seen post use it as well as a friend of mine.  If you know how to use the research here you can find the threads on the topic with details of how its used.