problems pinning

Started by texshroomer, December 12, 2009, 11:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texshroomer

:ph34r:late October i knocked up 8 Brf/verm 1/2pt jars with p.cube.(puerto rican/sporeworks) that took about a month to fully colonize. 2 weeks in to that i knocked up another 10 jars (same size/substrate) with G.T.s (sporeworks). Only 4/10 of the GTs colonized (I'm not sure what went wrong with the other 6) which caught up with the puerto rican(8/8 fully colonized) so i put them in a terrarium with around 4 inches of wet per-lite in mid November, oh yeah i dunked half of each strain (to see the difference) for about 20 hrs. The Rh has stayed in the high 90s and the temp was around 85 for the first week and 1/2 or so. Then i found out it should be in the 70s. So its been in 98%+RH, 71-77f, 16on/8off(light),and i fan at least twice a day for the past week and a half, any suggestions or theories as to why the whole process is taking twice as long as intended. :ph34r:

malabar

Texshroomer,
  Welcome to the forum.
   I don't follow the PF Tek, but consider the parameters to be almost the same as those of grains, with a few variations.
  You chose a good and reliable vendor for your spore source.  I am not surprised with the time of colonization of the Puerto Ricans.  For reason unknown to me, everyone that have grown or attempted to, have told me they have had a longer than usual wait time for full colonization, and it is reported that fruiting can be a challenge .  They are Very particular as to their environmental conditions and can be difficult to fruit. 
  The only Puerto Rican cubes I have grown were from prints I took while visiting the island,( Puerto Rico ) and they performed like any other cube.  So, you may have to be patient and try to be extremely strict with your rh/fae and stabilize that light cycle, to a 12hr on/off cycle.
  As for the GT, I grow them frequently, and know they have a bit of attitude when they are started from spores.  They are not as resilient as some in the early stages of colonizing, and progress slowly. 
  Since I use grains, I keep the strain active by g2g, which they seem to respond and recover nicely w/o problem.  As for fruiting them, ...  they are easy as long as you, once again stay on the course with your temps ( mid 70sF ), RH high 90s%, and have proper FAE management.
  Since you are using the BRF, you may have to buckle p and be prepared to wait until they are in the mood to perform for you.  It seems that this the way of the cake.
  However, perhaps the "Cake Queen" , Shroomzer, has more to offer since that is her style of growing.
  Hang in there, and GL.
    ~Malabar     :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

texshroomer

does the length of light really make a difference i had read somewhere on here they can handle 24hrs but wasn't sure if it was true. I have a lil plant veggin in the same closet and i need it to stay above 12/12 til it gets big enough to flower, i do have another location but i run a HPS(1000w) for 8on/16off but i heard u're not suppose to give mushrooms light with red spectrum and they prefer blue spectrum. oh yeah i got two lil pins on one puerto rican cake like 3 days ago but i think they aborted since they hav'nt grown

shroomzer

Malabar, even though he doesn't do cakes has it right. But one thing I do that I learned from my friend Trout is to add a tsp. of honey to the water when you make your substrate, cubes seem to like it 'sweet'.  You should notice a difference in performance.  As for the light its 12 on 12 off.  You want the blue spectrum not red.    And yeah I did GT's and they were very sporadic - some big flushes, some smaller,  and a lot of aborts.  I am getting ready to knock up 7 jars with B+, I seem to have the best luck with those.

texshroomer

thanx for all help and i will try that honey thing next time i make some substrate... has anyone one grown the mario mushroom, sorry i forgot the real name but i had herd its really hard to grow this and that i couldn't use this tek

dub504

texshroomer

Dub,
There u go, thats the name, have u ever grown it?A.Muscaria makes you trip right??

dub504

I never have. I've heard some people don't like it.

Azurascender

Well if you say that you had some of your jars colonize, and some didn't, but it was from the same syringe, perhaps you weren't careful and didn't make it through your dry verm layer. I have run into that problem before oh so long ago. In that case there is nothing you can do.  :angry:
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....