take foil off???

Started by ImAFungi, December 14, 2009, 06:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImAFungi

i have a quick question. i was just on shroomery.com and read a post saying to take off the foil during colonization? :huh:
i have never heard of that before. i thought that would lead to contamination. i was wondering what you guys thought about that.

-ImAFungi

String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

dub504

You're growing cakes? Don't take the foil off. Wait until fully colonized.

ImAFungi

alright that's what i thought too. thanks again dub. i don't know what i would do without you and the others pros here. ^_^ hope life is good.

-ImAFungi

shroomzer

I take my foil off after PC'n and inocculating.  I have noticed condensations under the foil at times so I just take it off and leave it off.  I have had no problems doing that.  Just a preferance I suppose.

MT

I take the foil off of my jars after PCing. If I inoculate the jars I just cover the resulting hole with micropore tape. I have not had any contamination problems because of it.

ImAFungi

Have you noticed any changes in how fast the cake colonizes?

-ImAFungi

MT

No. All of the cakes that I have ever done always seem to colonize at different rates anyway.

psilocybin warrior

Take off the foil, if your doing PF-cakes the half inch/ inch of verm is there to block contams/ same with polyfill/tyvek with grains.

PW

coyoteyogi

In the "Psilocybin Growers Handbook" it recommends two foil covers. One is solid and kept on when you PC. The other you puncture when you innoculate. I leave that one on. The small holes let it breathe okay and it is one more level of protection from air born contams. Others have more (and better) systems in their grow space and can do without the foil. Note: I still use the 1/2" verm layer on top.