Panaeolus Cyanescens

Started by andres, December 14, 2009, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andres

I am growing a very small and potent type of psylocibin mushroom (Panaeolus Cyanescens) in brown rice cakes... The mycelium has been trying to colonize my jars for 60 days and it's not quite there yet... wondering if there's any way I can help them out...

dub504

Grains would be better to start pans out on. Then you prob need to spawn to straw, case then fruit.

andres

Thank you dub 504, would you mind elaborating? "spawn to straw, case then fruit."

dub504

andres

Thanks so much dub, will definitely try that next time...

andres

Now, question - if it's been 60 days and some jars are only halfway colonized, should I think that in 60 more days the entire jar will be colonized or is the pan's mycelium simply too fragile or too thin to fully colonize a vermiculite and brown rice jar?  Is there anything I can do now to help the mycelium grow?  I already have it at about 84 degrees Farenheit.  Why must the entire jar be colonized before mushroom fruit can grow?
thanks again...

dub504

You might be better off colonizing at 80 deg. The myc creates heat when colonizing. If you don't fully colonize, something else will get a chance to eat that uncolonized food source and fuck things up for you. You might have trouble even getting fruits from those cakes. Pans do need a casing to fruit.

andres

Should I perhaps be casing now?  Could I send you some pictures...?

dub504

Case after fully colonized. Can you post pics here?

andres

I'm having trouble uploading... "cannot access attachments upload path"

dub504

You have to copy in the IMG code from photobucket or imageshack etc.. You can't upload to this site.

andres

Here are some examples of the most and least colonized jars I have after 60 days...

The most colonized jars have a light blue coloration where the mycelium is thickest... any ideas?

dub504

Perhaps the substrate has lost a bit of moisture after 60 days.

malabar

Andres,
  They have definitely lost too much moisture,......  thus the bluing as well as the lack of progression in colonization.
   You might try injecting a cc or two of sterile distilled water into the substrate with hopes of revitalizing the growth.
   ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

andres

Thank you dub and malabar, I will try injecting distilled water to the substrate and see what happens...

andres

Malabar - some of my jars seem to be reaching full colonization, but what does the presence of bluingm mean?

andres

Would casing them with perlite be fine?  or would you suggest something else?

malabar

andres,
  Sorry,.... My bad.  The "bluingm" was a typo that escaped detection of the spelling checker, and these old eyes ,.......  ( stick around for a few more years, and you'll get a pair! )  lol   ^_^
    VERMICULITE / PEAT , very basic,... very easy.
   Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dub504

Don't case with perlite. verm/peat moss 50/50

andres

So what is the bluing on the mycelium?  is it dead or damaged mycelium mass??