Fruiting Chamber

Started by lun0s, December 16, 2009, 01:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lun0s

Eek I don't want that, I read that I could put my colonized jars in the fridge until they are ready for birthing, is this indeed true?

malabar

Lun0s,
  You can indeed slow, or retard the colonized jars in your fridge safely for up to a few weeks. 
  But, remember the fridge is a breeding ground of contamination's,..... molds, fungus and nasty bacteria. 
  I would wrap them with a paper towel, place them in a storage baggie, and repeat the process, ( double baggie ) for each jar.
   Better safe than sorry,....
  ~Malabar     :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

lun0s

heh thanks for the suggestion. I just hope what I'm paranoid about on my one cake isn't a contaminate. If it is would it be full blown able to see by full colonization? Or could mycellium actually take over that spot and cover it?

malabar

Lun0s,
  Contaminates are much like an infection.  Given a weakened state or the  opportunity, ( the environment you make available to them ) allows their dominant nature to overrun the mycelium within controlled environments.
  In indoor grows, it's Very rare to have mycelium survive a hostile invasion of contamination.
  Most times you will have indicators long before you see contams, ( smell is a biggie ).
  ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

lun0s

Thats the thing guys, when I disposed of my contaminated cakes they ALL smelled like mushrooms(they all had green mold spots). But least its nice to know that if a jar is colonized the mycellium won't cover up the contaminated area.