white rice flour

Started by dave, December 19, 2009, 09:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave

Hey guys,

I have tried a few substrates and alternatives and I had to find out, that if you have a temperature of around 70-80F, a 200ml jar sould be fully colonized after 14 days.
If it's not, the contamination has had too much time to get into your jar and you most likely will have to throw it out :(

One thing is strange: in my case the white rice flour has worked better then the brown (natural) rice flour! Did anyone make the same experience?

Also I have made a comparison between keeping the mycelium longer in the jar and in my case it was better to birth the cake after 14 days. Doing so, I have had the first pins comming out after exactly 21 days after injecting the syringe.

The picture has been taken today (23 days after injecting the spores).

I don't even know whether I am going to try one of the mushrooms, but I definitely know that growing them is a lot of fun!!!

lun0s

I don't have much experience but from what my cakes look like now, that does not look good. Don't take work for it though I'm just getting started

malabar

dave,
  I hate to be the stick in the mud , but,.....    Just why are you attempting to re-invent the wheel?   :huh:  If you have done your research, you will find that you can probably get spores to germinate and even develop some sort of fruit on many substances,.... even human feces.  But that doesn't mean the fruits are edible, or what they really appear to be.
  White rice, may in fact support growth of a mycelia network and even fruits, but most of the nutrients needed to continue feeding a healthy grow have been bleached and processed out of the grain, thus the purpose of using Brown Rice, heavy and natural grains.
  Though you have obtained some sort of results, I would advise you get on-board and follow "proven" techniques as not you hurt yourself or others.  Most of all, so you can enjoy the fruits of your efforts.
  That cake of yours really looks nasty, and I would be afraid to even have it in my house, let alone dispose of by any means other than Fire
  If you are just experimenting, GL.  But If you are serious about the hobby, I repeat you should go a more conventional route.
  As usual, this just my opinion and what I know from Many years of growing.
    ~Malabar     :mellow:

My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dub504

Is there straw in that cake? What is the substrate?

psilocybin warrior

I'd have to agree with malabar. That cake looks like a disgusting health risk, I would'nt eat or feed anything that comes off it to anyone.

PW

dave

hey malabar,

don't worry, my cake is very healthy. After birthing it, I have covered it with sawdust instead of vermiculite. That's why it looks like sauerkraut :)

It's all only cubensis (b+) mycelium and sawdust. Here is a picture of the cake today.

I have used "bio"-rice, so the shell was removed but I hope that the nutrients have remained. If not, the mushrooms would't be growing, right? Or is it possible, that they contain less psilocybin?

thanks!

dave

ps: I have exactly followed fungifun's pf-tek description. Only that I have used white rice flour...

coyoteyogi

ps: I have exactly followed fungifun's pf-tek description. Only that I have used white rice flour...
Whatever. :mellow:
There are many routes to contamination, time is only one of them. There are many parameters to a good quality grow: numbers of fruits, number of flushes, size and density of fruits and yes, timeliness. That is why most of the growers on this forum have multiple projects at various stages of the process. Quickness is not that big a deal with more than one grow going at a time. Just sayin. Welcome to the forum and keep posting.

dave

I know that there are many ways to cantamination, I have spent two weeks reading everything I could find about mushroom cultivation and watching all pf-tek videos on ...tube.
Nevermind, only wanted to say that it is also okay to use white rice flour. At least for my b+ cubensis it worked better.
(So in my case it was 1 cup of water, 1 cup of white rice flour and 2 cups of verm.)
Also that sawdust works very well as casing.

coyoteyogi

malabar

dave,
  I still would feel uncomfortable with your methodology, but if this is the way you have chosen, the best of luck to you. 
  ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

dave

I don't really understand your concern. Is it because I have chosen white rice flour instead of the brown one?
Or is ist that I have chosen saw dust instead of verm as casing?
I mean there is many ways how to proceed after birthing the cake, right?
You can just leave it without a casing, you can use verm as casing, you can chop it apart and cover it with soil...
Or what makes you feel unconfortable?
They are really bright white, no cow-webs at all, no green mold, nothing. And they smell very nice of mushrooms...

dave

ps.: appreciating the posts of you all very much! :rolleyes:

shroomzer

Hmmmm dunno about that cake .. but to each their own.  I  would tend to agree with the expertise of Malabar and PW

coyoteyogi

The only possible problem with wood chips and sawdust is that they can be vectors for contaminants. It's not just the azurescens that love to feed on wood. there are all kinds of molds etc. that will consider it tasty. Vermiculite has no nutrient value and is safe as a way to hold moisture next to the cake.

dave

Okay, that makes sense...
Well I'll keep exchanging the water every 3rd day and cleaning the box and hope that no contaminants will find their way.

It's really amazing, how fast they grow. Nice watching them! :)