quick question

Started by moorhS, December 19, 2009, 04:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moorhS

Read somewhere on shroomery forum about mycelium being able to eat through tin foil... just kinda wonder because I have 3 cassing done in a bread tin and have 3 more i'm doing tomorrow.... do I need anything covering the aluminum??? thanks and pics soon :)

dub504

It will def eat through aluminum foil trays. It's like little pin holes here and there. I've read aluminum will show up in the fruit bodies. I don't know if that is a scientific fact or not.

moorhS

so can it be hazardous? and what should I cover the bread ten with??... i think somebody said something about covering then tin in plastic.... but if it can eat through ten then I'm guessing it could go through plastic.....  oh and I'm getting the "mountain tops" of mycelium all over my casing that I have in the FC been there for 5 days and is looking super nice any chance could be done b4 xmas?? tried to take pics but super hard to see good.... thanks

moorhS

moorhS

oh and it's a 50/50 sphagnum peat moss and verm... with around 2-3 % lime and around 15% oyster shells. . . :) Merry X-mas to all

coyoteyogi

Nice tray. I used to use aluminum bread pans and gave them up because the myc would eat through the bottom. I found some 'non-stick' pans on sale and have been very happy with those. A jar of popcorn fits in perfectly. Did you get your oyster shells at a hydroponics store? Keep posting pics please. I enjoy watching others progress.

dub504

I usually get oyster shells at a feed store (bird cage bedding). They usually just weigh out what you need, but I live on the Gulf Coast.

fattrout

i use the tin pans too, but i have never notices that problem.. :huh: it maybe because,
i put down a 1/4 inch layer of casing mix on the bottom of the pan and spray the shit out of it... as for the sides of the pan, if you notice the sub will put away from the sides of the pan, as the fruits grow.. so i don't see a problem... -_-
fattrout

malabar

I agree with the Troutman.   
As of late, I have been using more plastics, but I have at least 20 casings in aluminum trays as I type.   And, considering that aluminum isn't a "heavy" or ferrous metal, I think the consumption by mycelia is negligible. 
  You probably consume more dangerous compounds in Larger quantities by drinking milk, or your tap water.
  ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

moorhS

ya feed store had the lime and oyster shells got a 5 lbs of shells and it will last me for ever probably it was like 8 bucks.. . . .

dub504

Sure, I don't think the minute amounts of aluminum that are consumed by the mycelium really pose a health risk. It's probably less than you would get from your average pit stick/deodorant.

shroomzer

I used the aluminum baking pans as well and saw no effects with them.   But I have only done it a couple times .. I think I may still have fruits from those grows stashed!! lol

moorhS

yea i decided to do casings instead of the cakes with all of them..so I had to build a few more fc had everything so wasn't big deal. just seems smarter in terms of yield  ^_^ I would love to have mushies vacuum sealed away and hopefully the start of 2010 i will :)

substrate

iknow this is a late response - but in regards to the aluminum from the pan...

...if you read stamets Mycelium Running - you'll see that myc is one of the best FILTERS there is - including metals.

your grow might very well eat your pan - but the fungus itself will filter out the elements from the metal. 

dub504

I've read otherwise when it comes to aluminum and cubes...