Having Trouble With Rye and PF Tek

Started by LifeCopy, December 26, 2009, 04:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LifeCopy

I grew some nice PF cakes and fruited them they are doing really well( I'm so grateful !) so I decided to try my luck with rye, It failed, I followed all the steps of RR's Rye tek and I was overly paranoid about contamination so I cleaned the whole kitchen sanitized everything and still no dice, no myc grew, (I used my PC 15psi 1:30)there was a sort of odd cooked rye smell after a week in incubation. I persisted, cleaned everything and went back to basics figuring I got a little ahead of myself. So i did the PF tek again, I was aseptic through the entire process beginning to end( I followed the Grow-Buddy PF tek like i did with my first batch ) ( the syringes i used on both the  Rye tek and PF were about 4 months old there were little black floating dots in the syringes i assume are the spores) Its been  about five days and not a spec of growth in the PF jars. I ordered 4 more syringes from a different vendor and a sterile bag but I can't afford to waste anymore money and I love Mycology I want to succeed but I need help, I don't even know what questions to ask cause I don't know what I did wrong, my first run through worked so why these flops,  please somebody help me save my project! :ph34r: feedback Is greatly appreciated.

Azurascender

Saving your project is up to you, a great deal of research and common sense are the best tools one could have in this hobby. But, one thing that did pop out at me is when you said you had four month old syringes... I hope you kept them in a clean container and refrigerated them, they do tend to go bad.
If you did your second PF Tek the exact same as how you did your first successful batch, then the spores may be the culprit in this failure. But at the same time you may not have failed at all, spores can be whores. They have taken up to a week and a half to show any signs of growth for me at times....
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....