Looking into using horse poo as substrate

Started by LifeCopy, December 26, 2009, 06:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LifeCopy

All my research as far as substrate goes has pointed to cow and horse poo as being the most natural and all around best substrate for cubes. I live near a place  that has frequent horse traffic in a public desert park area, no one would miss it if  I took a little so..... I 'll continue to research different teks on the matter and sterilization methods does anyone have a step by step that they could pass on. I'd love to check it out. Thanks for all the previous replies on other posts  I really appreciate it.!

dub504

Fresh poo is very acidic. There are a few extra steps to take before you use it, involving bleach and lime. It's better to use dry poo as a lot of the acidity has been leached out. Poo has a very strong sent when you prepare it. I really prefer to use pasteurized straw and worm castings. They really perform great. The smell is earthy but not over the top and the prep between these substrates is the same.

psilocybin warrior

I've never prep'd any poo, only bought pre-pasturized mixed with shredded straw. This might help if you  havn't found this list of proven teks http://www.shroomery.org/22/Bulk-Substrates

PW