The fuzz!

Started by bigfatmouthj, January 02, 2010, 08:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfatmouthj

so  im using the tropic aire system in my FC, there is plenty of
FAE and temps are between 68-73F RH is around 95% and im still getting the fuzz. any ideas?

malabar

Big,
  I'm thinking you might like to increase your FAE a bit.  Do you have a "gang valve" in between your air pump and tropic aire? 
  I use them to have individual control of my FAE and RH.  Apparently some others don't use them.
Other than that, it appears you are doing all the right things,....  Mist them lightly to knock down the growth, and ride it out.
Sometimes there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of vegetative growth, as long as it isn't a case of " overlay ".
   ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

bigfatmouthj

Excellent! Thank you again malabar -_-

dub504

Just make sure don't mist too heavily. If the myc gets matted down it will def cause overlay.

bigfatmouthj

the cakes have been in the FC for a few days now(3-4) is it too late
to case them?

moorhS

from what I've heard and read it's fine just make sure you pick off any tiny pins, so they don't cause contamination.... GL

dub504

moorhs is right. You can case them if you want.

bigfatmouthj

Well the cakes and casings are starting to fruit like CRAZY!
the over growth that had fell onto the lava rocks below has also sprouted fruits. going to get pics later. heard something about cakes and some casings liking honey added to the soaking water, any truth to this? if so what strains?

ImAFungi

Nice congrats fatmouth :ph34r:
String Cheese + Sherwood Forest = Rothbury Incident!!!

dub504

I've never heard or read anything about using honey in casings or cakes. I suppose the sugar would be a food source, kind of like Karo or honey in a LC. The casing should be non nutritive. It doesn't sound right to me. IMO, You can get plenty of nutes from grains, poo, straw, castings, etc... Would love to see your grow.

malabar

Big,
  Congrats!  I'm thrilled to hear of your fruits!   -_- 
As for that honey,....  Save it for your tea!  You have it right about the non-nutrient base of casing.
  Kudos again!
    ~Malabar     :mellow:

shroomzer

I use a teaspoon of honey when making my substrate for my cakes.  Seems to work OK for me.

malabar

Exactly right.  It may work well in substrate, but Big has it right for CASING materials.  Casing needs to be neutral and almost inert.
   :ph34r:

dub504

The cake queen comes through!

malabar

Shroomzer RULES!
    Know it!,.....  Believe it!,......  It's Real!    -_-
       :ph34r:

shroomzer

Well sheesh guys **blush** **blush** .... Yes casing no honey, just in the cakes.  I was seeing 'cakes and casing' and didn't specify correctly or completly.  OOops .... I actually like my honey with a bit of peanut butter.  Why is it that everything seems to go with PB??  (sorry a bit off topic =))

bigfatmouthj

Shroomzer...do you find that any one strain yeilds better than another using the honey? if so which strains? also has anyone ever tried any form of powdered vitams in their substrate? im guessing the intense heat may effect it when sterilizing, but it would seem some may enhance the fruits if they could withstand the heat?

bigfatmouthj

The reason i ask about the added vitamins to substrate is...

i cant remember where i was reading it, but something about polyene fungicide and higher yeilds? and then i read this

http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/PhaseII.shtml

malabar

Big,
  Years ago we used to crush Calcium carbonate, then add the powder to our grains prior to the PC.
  And thinking back,..  I don't think I can recall any significance that would push me to waste the vitamins, or the cash.
  You eat the vitamins, and provide healthy grains for your little ones! 
Life is Good!     -_-
   ~Malabar    :mellow:

shroomzer

Big ... No I haven't noticed any difference in the yields from one strain to another.