cracked corn

Started by texshroomer, January 05, 2010, 04:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texshroomer

I have read you are suppose to soak any corn for 24 hrs then boil then pc... on the other hand i heard if your using cracked corn you don't have to soak for 24 hrs, you just boil then pc. which is of these two are true? or is the first statement true if your "cracking" the corn yourself?  :huh:

MT

I had a WBS disaster during the Christmas holiday. I bought a bag of WBS that contained cracked corn (which I normally don't use). I soaked the grain for about 24 hours like I always do and then brought it to a boil for approx. ten minutes. That is when I started to realize there was a problem. The twenty-eight cups of grain that I prepared had suddenly turned to a huge sticky gummy mess in the stock pot I was using. Boy was my wife proud of me when she saw what I had made in "her" kitchen. I know that this probably won't help with your query, I just had to throw it in. I will never use anything with cracked corn in it again. What a mess. I then went back to the store and bought what I normally use, which is a deluxe bird seed mix without any corn.

fattrout

fattrout

texshroomer

Those were two of some of the teks i was looking at but I never read whether or not you HAVE to soak for 24 hr. Well one says to soak for 24 but does not go in detail as to why or if is optional and only mentions corn that is chopped. The other doesn't even mention a 24 hr. soak and says you can use popcorn/corn/cracked corn all the same way. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me regardless I believe either way it should work.

dub504

Cracked corn probably has more endospores than popcorn, since it's not for human consumption. So, you probably want to soak it. Hope that helps. I've never used cracked corn though. I have used popcorn though and I always soak that.

fattrout

i'm not sure about cracked corn, but pop corn is very dense and take about 24 hours to absorb the right amont of water...
-_-
fattrout