Previous topic - Next topic

is polyfil essential as a filter?

yes
2 (66.7%)
no
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pixie1420

does anyone know about using this method? I understand that it is important to allow air to enter your jars and obviously this air must be filtered. Polyfil is a polyester filling used to fill cusions and stuff. Can any polyester filling be used and is there anything else that can act as a filter? here's a site on the issue... http://www.fungifun.org/polyfill/

Thanks

ninja master

yep i use it, quite alot actualy.  its a good tek, self healing, and dirt cheap!

anno

Can any polyester filling be used

As long it has a fine cottony structure, yes.

is there anything else that can act as a filter?

Some people use cotton plugs.

jkim23

Quote from: ninja master on August 28, 2005, 10:06:54 PM
yep i use it, quite alot actualy. ?its a good tek, self healing, and dirt cheap!

???????hey do u have any problems with contamination when using polifill and do you sterilze it tooo?

anno

Polyfil is sterilized along with the jars, no need for separate sterilization.

lolita

Would the polyfil be used in place of a vermiculite layer or in addition to it?  I've only heard of using a straight vermiculite protection layer before reading about other filters today.

anno

Since you have to inoculate the PF-jars on 4 places with the syringe, the vermiculite barrier is still the best choice with PF-jars.

DrGonzo

For a crude McGiver type fix to polly fill use just ciggaret buts! belive it or not, i drill a smaler hole than the but in the lid and force it though and there ya go, ohh and they r new handrolling or taylor smoke butts NOT used lol It has the advantage of being self pakadged, eaisly replaced at the end of each grow and dam chap!

anno

DrGonzo

P.S dont use butts with paper on them i.e ones riped from a cigarett, it hasent made a difference yet and ive had 100% secsess so far with riped new ciggie butts but i found today that all the butts exposed to the growing myc in the sterile jar had grown myc on the paper holding the butt together! this may be a serious contamination breach if the myc on the butt became infected at an early stage during growing, it would be passed to rest of the substrate during the shacking proces. not good. I got some large handrolling filters today and they are glued together or cordarized during manifacture, this should solve the problem! no food for the myc to grow(paper), the butt should stay sterrile! if ya did give it a go with ripped buts i wouldnt be to worried like i said no failures yet!