Old cow Shit and outside compost

Started by moorhS, January 07, 2010, 11:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moorhS

Just wondering how much nutrients would have been lost in some cow crap that is 5+ years old.... we have an old barn with lots of it so was curious if I could put it to good use in a compost bed outside?.?.? I live in the Northwest and not sure if Cubes would be able to fruit or not (i'm guessing they would) I would like to do some other strains in outdoor beds like Cyanescens and Stunzii and Liberty cap scince I know those all grow in the area ... so what u guys think feedback is always welcome and I know you guys and gals give good feedback so lets "hear" it. . .  thanks

moorhS

dub504

I don't know bro. I'm sure there are still plenty of good nutrients in that shit for sure. A lot of the initial acidity has probably neutralized over time. You prob want to check and get a good pH though, on the sweet side. If you don't feel like actually testing this, I don't blame you, I don't either. You can use some hydrated lime when pasteurizing or sprinkle some into your outdoor mix. If you're gonna experiment w/ the exotics that grow well outdoors in your area, by all means please do! That would be awesome, and great for us to see.

malabar

moorhS,
  Sorry my friend, I have been really swamped with work related projects, and the weather has taken a depressing turn here in Florida,.....  It's like the Frozen Zone!   Anything I have had going on out there is wiped out, or in deep hibernation!  Time will tell.
   As Dub stated, I am inclined to believe there are still some Very Viable nutrients left in the poop, providing it has been located that has not allowed the elements, ( rain for one ) the run off the goodies. 
  There by no means is anything wrong with trying to incorporate it in your grow.  Trial and error is the road we all travel at one time or another.
  GL.
   ~Malabar     :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

moorhS

ya I've heard on the news about the oranges that have went bad :( bummer guess we'll be paying a little more for em :( any ways yea I decided I'm going to put my spent cakes (and casings) and contaminated cakes in the building itself... I will just do the self water thing since it is completely covered all except small opening... anyways sorry for babbling just bored :) thanks guys